VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyy

I have a 2001 2.0L New Beetle. Recently, the check engine light came on and has stayed on. So I took it in for service. They replaced my indicators. The light then went off, but appeared 2 days later and it still remains on. Took it in again, and they said nothing comes up on the system about what's wrong with the car.

Yesterday, after driving the car for 5 min in a 38F weather - the coolant light came on flashing red. I obviously pull over, turned car off and waited. It did the same thing again today.

Are these related issues? Since they can't find anything wrong with the engine light, I dont know what to do.:(

Has this happened to any of you? :confused:

·
MORAcamaro
13 Posts
IDK, I hope they fix it tho :/

the only thing I can think of is to take it to the dealer...but u did say it comes off for a lil bit then returns. i wudnt wana pay dealer money for a check-engine lite and then have it come back agn in 2 days

maybe there is a warranty if u do it at the dealer - idk

GL!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,304 Posts
If the CEL is on, there are codes there. Take it to an Autozone type place and they will scan the car for free. Where is the car being serviced now? Dealer or another shop? Sounds like they don't really know what they are doing if they replaced bulbs (if thats what you mean by indicators) to fix a CEL.

As for the blinking temp light, first thing to do is check the coolant and the level. Is it pink coolant? Is the level low? If its low, it will just need to be topped off. If the level is good and its pink (which it should be) then you are overheating. Failed water pump or thermostat would be my first guesses if thats the case. But there are some troubleshooting steps you can take to figure that all out.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Some 3rd party scanning devices will not pick up all VW CEL codes. I recommend finding someone with VCDS (aka Vag-Com) and get it scanned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heyy Thanks for the input, guys. The car is serviced at a local mechanic. He is a trusted tech that has worked on my friend's porche and several other family cars. Supposedly he has the most up-to-date readers for CEL's. I took my buggy to another place for a 2nd check. ne way - both places did not find why my CEL is still on. My main tech was able to get it turned off, but it came back in 2 days. I wanna take it to the dealer $105 for the CEL and then credit to fixing the prob (w/e it is).

IDK what to doooo!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Heyy Thanks for the input, guys. The car is serviced at a local mechanic. He is a trusted tech that has worked on my friend's porche and several other family cars. Supposedly he has the most up-to-date readers for CEL's. I took my buggy to another place for a 2nd check. ne way - both places did not find why my CEL is still on. My main tech was able to get it turned off, but it came back in 2 days. I wanna take it to the dealer $105 for the CEL and then credit to fixing the prob (w/e it is).

IDK what to doooo!
the red light if I am not mistaken is telling you the coolant is low. top off the res with water. if it comes on again check water level and report back. save teh $105 you may not need to spend it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts