NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2000 GLX 1.8T
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help! Almost immediately after I filled up my 2000 GLX at the gas station yesterday the "check engine light" came on. I quickly pulled over and turned the car off and grabbed the manual. Needless to say it was very vague but stated that the car could be driven. I went to start the car and it wouldn't start! On the fourth try it started and has started on the first try ever since.

The light is solid, no blinking and comes on immediately and stays on until the car is turned off. I find it ironic that I filled the gas tank and than the stupid light popped on. The car has 52,661 miles on her.

The only other thing I have noticed in the last couple of weeks is CAT smell when giving the car the gas to go up hill or to pass. I read the post containing the recall info. on the CAT and downloaded the letter.

Any info. would be most appreciated.

Thanks

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
superbeeyellow said:
Help! Almost immediately after I filled up my 2000 GLX at the gas station yesterday the "check engine light" came on. I quickly pulled over and turned the car off and grabbed the manual. Needless to say it was very vague but stated that the car could be driven. I went to start the car and it wouldn't start! On the fourth try it started and has started on the first try ever since.

The light is solid, no blinking and comes on immediately and stays on until the car is turned off. I find it ironic that I filled the gas tank and than the stupid light popped on. The car has 52,661 miles on her.

The only other thing I have noticed in the last couple of weeks is CAT smell when giving the car the gas to go up hill or to pass. I read the post containing the recall info. on the CAT and downloaded the letter.

Any info. would be most appreciated.

Thanks
That happened to me a few months ago and then it went off a day or so later. Did you make sure you turned the gas cap tight enough? was the car running when you filled it up?

·
2000 GLX 1.8T
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No and it was very hectic w/lines backed up because of the price drop that day and two mini-vans were vying for my spot. I just wanted to get the heck out of there.

I am such a new beetle neophyte that I would have never thought to check the gas cap. I will check at lunch(my Sat. to work.)

Thanks C.G.B.

P.S. The car was not running while I was filling up.

·
2000 GLX 1.8T
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yipee! I went out at lunch and opened the gas door and removed the gas cap even though they both appeared to be properly closed. I carefully rescrewed the gas cap and clicked twice then I made sure that the fuel door was closed. When I started the car after a couple of seconds the light went off.

Thanks C.G.B. you saved me an expensive trip to the dealership.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
superbeeyellow said:
Yipee! I went out at lunch and opened the gas door and removed the gas cap even though they both appeared to be properly closed. I carefully rescrewed the gas cap and clicked twice then I made sure that the fuel door was closed. When I started the car after a couple of seconds the light went off.

Thanks C.G.B. you saved me an expensive trip to the dealership.
You should always click it at least 3 times! Glad my advice worked for ya! :goodjob:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts