NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one had any major issues with the check engine light? It first came one in my girlfriends 2000 beetle a couple of years ago. Since then the following work has been done to try and fix it.

* Replaced spark plugs
* Replaced plug leads
* Replaced coolant temp sensor
* Replaced vacuum hose
* Replaced all filters

the car has otherwise been fine but the check engine light is on all the time now and is a little unsettling when driving on big journeys. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
 

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
Joined
·
210 Posts
Sounds like you have done a lot. Check the mass air flow sensor (located just after the airbox on the engine side of the box), they have been known to go bad. You could also have one of the oxygen sensors going bad. Also, did you replace all vac hoses or just one?
You may want to get the car scanned and discover what the problem is instead of spending time and money replacing things which may not need replacing.
You can still drive the car as long as the CEL is not flashing, if it flashes have the problem diagnosed and fixed immediately. But, I would not drive around too long with that light kicked on solid.
 

·
DIESL PWR
Joined
·
354 Posts
Some people {gasp} just ignore CEL's. I recently had mine pop up, and it turned out my ECU needed to be, well, upgraded with new software. The car's still at the dealer getting that done, so we'll see.

Have you tried getting someone to look it over with a VAG-COM? We're making a list of people with VAG-COMs.

By the way, my previous Beetle was a 2000. From 1998-2000, Beetles had a lot of random electrical gremlins, so the CEL could just be hiccupping. The number of things, from a fuel door problem to a radio issue, that set of the CEL is absurd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
My daughters 99 CEL came on about a month ago.
I checked around the site and found as long as it is not blinking don't worry about it.
Last week her battery went dead.. I had it replaced (she is 400 miles away at Miss State)
Got battery put on and guess what?? The CEL light is OFF. Might come back on but not yet...
 

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
Joined
·
890 Posts
fatdaddy said:
My daughters 99 CEL came on about a month ago.
I checked around the site and found as long as it is not blinking don't worry about it.
Some people have emissions testing... and if the CEL is on, you automatically fail. Plus, it means something is so far out of range, its throwing a code. So continuing to drive it that way, will result in damage long term.

As to the original post, you can replace every part on the car and maybe still not fix it. There are 100's (if not 1000's) of codes that will illuminate the CEL. Get it scanned, then decide on your next course of action based on the actual codes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone for your info

Speedie - i think it was just one of the hoses that was replaced. When u say get the car scanned do u mean with a VAG COM? ( sorry if this is a stupid question) I am in Australia and not sure if the VW dealerships here would have this technology




ASurroca - what is the ECU? is it to do with the emission control? (prob another stupid question)



Ducky - yep the codes have been read each time and i think the mechanic didn't really know what faults they were pointing to.


fatdaddy - for your peace of mind i hope that it doesn't come back on EVER..


Porkchop - how much does it cost to get it scanned? how long would it take the mechanic to do it?
 

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
Joined
·
890 Posts
katbeetle said:
thanks everyone for your info

Speedie - i think it was just one of the hoses that was replaced. When u say get the car scanned do u mean with a VAG COM? ( sorry if this is a stupid question) I am in Australia and not sure if the VW dealerships here would have this technology

ASurroca - what is the ECU? is it to do with the emission control? (prob another stupid question)

Ducky - yep the codes have been read each time and i think the mechanic didn't really know what faults they were pointing to.

Porkchop - how much does it cost to get it scanned? how long would it take the mechanic to do it?
The dealerships in Oz have VAG-COM - it is essential to work on any VW built in the last 15+ years. Ross Tech (www.ross-tech.com) has the software and interfaces aftermarket which if you're going to keep this car long term, I highly recommend. To avoid getting into conversions, you can probably figure the dealership will charge about the same as 1 hour labor to scan the car - but you will probaby have to ask for the codes. Dealerships have a habit of not wanting to "bore" you with the details.... unless you ask specifically, they just tell you they need to replace a bunch of stuff and give you the bottom line.

I think Speedie is going to be right. Most likely it is the MAF with O2 sensors also being a possibility. Although neither part is terribly expensive, there is no point replacing a part that ain't broke. Either buy the VAG-COM or pay to have it scanned. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Just a note... Everyone I know that owns a newer beetle has a check engine light on solid. It can be from things as simple as a loose gas cap. The annowing part is that is seems like they are always on for those cars. If they put light somewhere other than the dashboard, it would be alot less discomforting. My mother had the light come on for hers. She had it serviced, they replaced the spark plugs, then the light wouldn't go off until they used VW brand plugs. The light was off for about a week, then it came on again for no reason. My suggestion, if you are going to own a beetle, get used to it.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
If you get it scanned; have the mechanic print you off a copy of the codes and let us know what they are. They may be something we've run into before.

ECU= engine control unit. It's your bug's brain; controls fuel ratios, timing, emissions, turbo actuators, pretty much everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
noR said:
If you get it scanned; have the mechanic print you off a copy of the codes and let us know what they are. They may be something we've run into before.

ECU= engine control unit. It's your bug's brain; controls fuel ratios, timing, emissions, turbo actuators, pretty much everything.


Apparently the codes always indicated that the car was running too rich. Guess the best option is to get it scanned and see what happens...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
So whst kinda motor is this?

Rich could also be from a bad MAF; or from a failing O2 sensor. Mine didn't throw a code before it started showing side effects.

The MAF can be unplugged; that'll cause more lights, but if you notice better milage/performance, that may be the culprit.

Not sure of what voltage the O2 should show if you check it w/a multimeter.


noR
 

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
Joined
·
890 Posts
nobeetleforme said:
Just a note... Everyone I know that owns a newer beetle has a check engine light on solid. It can be from things as simple as a loose gas cap. The annowing part is that is seems like they are always on for those cars. If they put light somewhere other than the dashboard, it would be alot less discomforting. My mother had the light come on for hers. She had it serviced, they replaced the spark plugs, then the light wouldn't go off until they used VW brand plugs. The light was off for about a week, then it came on again for no reason. My suggestion, if you are going to own a beetle, get used to it.:)
There is no such thing as "VW Brand plugs". Older VW's use Bosch, my 2000 Beetle uses NGK as the OEM plug.

It is not normal to have a CEL on... but it is common on a New Beetle. My advice is don't just ignore it... get a VAG-COM and fix it yourself.
 

·
Cute, Yet Terrifying
Joined
·
18 Posts
Mine went on a couple of months ago as well. I took it into my local VW Dealership and they hooked it up and erased the code. Then about three days later it came back on. It turned out that it was my mass air flow sensor... Now thats all fixed... I didnt have to take it in, but the light was starting to drive me insane!!!:rolleyes:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
98 Posts
katbeetle said:
Any one had any major issues with the check engine light? It first came one in my girlfriends 2000 beetle a couple of years ago. Since then the following work has been done to try and fix it.

* Replaced spark plugs
* Replaced plug leads
* Replaced coolant temp sensor
* Replaced vacuum hose
* Replaced all filters

the car has otherwise been fine but the check engine light is on all the time now and is a little unsettling when driving on big journeys. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Sounds like everything has been done except the correct thing...That would be to get the car scanned with VW's VAG-COM scanner, that when used correctly will decipher the codes and direct the tech. to the problem area. Our cars are self diagnosing.. Once the code or codes have been read by the scanner, and the repair that the scan told the tech. to do is done, the codes should be cleared and the car should be driven for at least 5 to 10 miles just to verify that the repair was the correct and complete one. This verification shows up in form of no CEL's lighting up. If the repair was not the correct one, or if there is another problem, the CEL will come on again... Good Scanning, JK
 

·
Maybethistime
Joined
·
2 Posts
I have a 2000 NB, and the light has come on for various reasons since I bought the car. Recently it came on and stayed on for about 3 weeks. Last week my headlight stopped working, and the light went off. Maybe the cel was warning me that the headlight was going out. Now I must get light repaired, but I don't want to go to the dealer. Anyone know where I can get repairs done in Houston Texas? I will only use dealer if there is no other option.
 

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
Joined
·
890 Posts
maybethistime said:
I have a 2000 NB, and the light has come on for various reasons since I bought the car. Recently it came on and stayed on for about 3 weeks. Last week my headlight stopped working, and the light went off. Maybe the cel was warning me that the headlight was going out. Now I must get light repaired, but I don't want to go to the dealer. Anyone know where I can get repairs done in Houston Texas? I will only use dealer if there is no other option.
The CEL is related to the engine management system/emissions controls. It isn't smart enough to know when a headlight is nearing its expiration date :)

There is an excellent How-to prepared by Fowvay to do headlight bulb replacement yourself. Bulbs are available at Wal-mart and any auto parts store (H-4 I think?).

If your 2000 has the original bulbs, be prepared for a little fight with the lever that allows you to remove the headlight bucket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Vag-Com codes

Hi all!

Recenlty, about a week ago my check engine light went on..
I havent noticed any changes.. the car drives as before.

Today I have checked the car with the Vag-Com and got the following codes:
P1103, P1116 - Lambda sensor problems (low popwer, connection break) - I have already order it..:confused:

and third which worries me the most P1200 - Turbocharger valve mechanical problem..:mad:

have u got any experience with them?
 

·
180 Degrees out of faze
Joined
·
841 Posts
Sounds like the O2 sensor needs replacing. The P1200 most likely is the diverter valve. Cheap and easy to fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
o2 sensor

hannaco said:
Sounds like the O2 sensor needs replacing. The P1200 most likely is the diverter valve. Cheap and easy to fix.

After changing the o2 sensor (after only 40.000km and 3years!!!) the chcek engine light is no longer on. As well as the error P1200 regarding the Turbocharger. :D
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top