NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
My check engine light has come on recently, but when hooked up to the reader, it only reads "ERR." It is not giving a diagnostic code. Everything else is fine. Has this ever happened to anyone else out there?
Thanks!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket radio installed? What code reader are you using?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I do have an aftermarket Kenwood stereo. And the light did come on after it was installed. As far as the reader, I had used my Dad's and I'm not sure what brand it is. Probably something cheap.

·
AbsentbebniM
145 Posts
That could be the issue right there. If you matched the wiring harness colors exactly, including the amp power, then you've got power running back through the OBD... which would error out your reader (hopefully it didn't 'fry' it).

There's a few posts in the 'How to' section about this. (I'm not sure how to link there with the iPhone app).

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both very much. I will check there first. What do I look up in the 'How to' section? I had Best Buy install the stereo. I assume they matched everything up correctly... :/

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Don't bet on it. I had Circuit City install one of my old radios and they didn't have it hooked up to constant power, which is a pretty basic radio wiring thing.

You likely have the K-line hooked up to something: Ross-Tech: VCDS: Afterrmarket Radio Problem

·
AbsentbebniM
145 Posts
This snippet from the site he linked to is really what I was saying in a nutshell.

"The problem is, VW brought the "K-Line", the wire on which all of the control modules in the car communicate with the scan-tool to a pin in the connector on which older radios used to put +12 back into the harness. (We're not sure whether this was for antenna power or as an amplifier turn-on or what). So if you were to take the non-diagnostics capable radio out of a 1997 GTI and put it in a 1998 (where there should be a diagnostics-capable one), it fits perfectly, plugs right into the harness, but the K-line ends up shorted to +12!"

The "K-Line" is getting power (+12) back through it. The dealership I went to to have my car checked was hesitant to plug their reader into the OBD due to this.

Anyway, since you had it installed by Best Buy, and they really should know this issue exists by now, I'd print off that website info and bring the car back in. Should be a simple fix, but if you do it yourself you will probably void their install warranty.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts