NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 99 New Beetle TDI this December. I have ordered an owners' manual, but it has not yet arrived; therefore, I have a rather...um...silly question.

The orange plastic dipstick tube disengaged from its recepticle in the pan, and dumped about 6 ozs of oil onto my driveway. I have secured the tube, and all is well, except I'm not sure how much oil I need to replace. The oil line on the dipstick comes to the center of the xxxx section on the dipstick. (I know, that last sentence is an invitation for bad jokes. Please don't.)

How does one interpret the markings on the oil dipstick? I have had cars with dipsticks on which the xxxx markings meant to add a quart, and others on which the similar markings meant the pan was full. Which interpretation applies to my Beetle? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Hi and congrats on your TDI!

The oil should be read about 2-3 minutes after shutdown, and the level should be in the middle of the hash marks (letter b in the diagram above). If you haven't check out tdiclub.com and the TDIFAQ link there for the best info!:)

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Just some trivia. There are 5 Xs and each X is .2 liter. Just count the Xs to see how much you are below full.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts