NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to add up all the cheep plastic switches that have broken on my 2000 NB. Anyone else have to pay overpriced replacements that are Always in stock because of the demand?

1. Outside mirror knob
2. Both Drivers side window switches
3. Chrome knob on the parking brake
4. passenger side window switch
5. latch on the arm rest
6. AC fan switch

Arrgh

·
pixel pusher
1,059 Posts
I've broken the latch on the arm rest and the hazard switch, plus the third brake light - but that's not a switch.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
And, let's not forget the glove box latch.
The gas flap release.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
jibeho said:
I'm trying to add up all the cheep plastic switches that have broken on my 2000 NB. Anyone else have to pay overpriced replacements that are Always in stock because of the demand?

1. Outside mirror knob
5. latch on the arm rest
6. AC fan switch

Arrgh
Okay, I've broken two of these - the driver's side window switch ($19.99 to replace) and the arm rest latch ($2.49 last time I replaced it - now its broken again and it cost like $12. Needless to say, its staying broken this time).

·
5/23/10 <3
11,123 Posts
Why stop at just the switches...so many of the parts on these cars are made of plastic! The water pump is made of plastic and ends up breaking easily. My boyfriend's '95 Passat has had more things plastic break on it...he's replaced most, if not all of them, with metal pieces. He went to change his oil filter...first off, huge bolt underneath the car...very odd size and it took hours of searching to find a tool to get it off. Then, he went to do it and found out it was plastic. How did he find that out you ask? It broke in half, so he couldnt get it off to change the filter. He was so angry. And the more we look into things on both of our cars, the more we realize VW just uses plastic for everything and we can't figure out why?! The only thing we can figure is that they want money...cheap plastic=more breakage=more repairs=more $$$. All I know is that I'm not looking forward to having all of these things break...but I may start up a little fund that I can use to pay a little extra to buy metal equivalents to parts, if they are available (water pump for example).

·
Registered
19 Posts
OMG! Cars made with plastic! The horror!

No, the window switches are crap. My solution since 98 (my warranty ran out when the car was 4 months old) was...

Every year - the warranty on parts is 12 months - I go to the dealer, pull out the switch while in the lot, and go inside for a new one. Always free, as the parts is under warranty. It may be a bit of a pain, but not as bad as being stuck with a window switch that doesn't work!

·
Registered
34 Posts
jibeho said:

1. Outside mirror knob
5. latch on the arm rest
6. AC fan switch

Arrgh
In this list, I've only had the armrest latch break (about $18 to replace myself). But I (like MANY others) have had the plastic switch in the door lock module go bad so my NB doesn't know when the door is open. I fixed that this morning myself ($15 dollars & 3 hours of labor) instead of paying the stealership $400-450 to fix!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I'm so gonna jinx myself now.

I've never broken the heater knob or any plastic parts of chalie... well, if yu don't count the power outlet cover on the center console. I HAVE ripped the metal guard off the oil pan.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
I'm used to the cheap plastic VW switches and have long since stopped breaking them. They require a very light touch. I have watched as people raise thier windows and am amazed how much force they apply. Your finger tips should not turn white while applying pressure. Pushing harder does not... I repeat DOES NOT make the window(s) or mirror move faster. :p

Now that being said.. my wife falls into the latter catagory and I fully anticipate her breaking one of the switches in the future but so far (knock on wood) none of my switches have broken. :)

Tom aka Fowvay

·
5/23/10 <3
11,123 Posts
Never broken any of those things...but I have manual windows so the window switches are not an issue for me. Just lucky I guess...

Watch, next time I drive it, they will all break...I should know better than to say anything

·
Registered
1 Posts
latches

ya...I have a busted arm rest latch...would like to replace myself...but where do ya find the replacements? or do I have to go to the stealership?

anywhere online to buy it?

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
mobious74 said:
ya...I have a busted arm rest latch...would like to replace myself...but where do ya find the replacements? or do I have to go to the stealership?

anywhere online to buy it?
www.worldimpex.com carries it, but it's like $12 last time I checked. A couple of years ago it was only like $3... so for me, it's not longer worth fixing for that price.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Dipsick tube...Cracking
clock/thermo cubby Push button switch broke.
Yeah, the window switch on my passenger side.

Is their an aftermarket jobber who sell aluminium replacements?

The second bad idea other than plastic switches......the rubbery stuff that coats the interior. Still I love my bug. One thing i'm hating though. My case of typing dyslexia that i'm suffering through tonight.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
[lot] said:
I Guess I'm the only one who broke the release handle for the hood...
It's the second one now. :mad:
Doggit man. You sho is skrong. I see anger managment classes in your future...Only kidding:D . I never broke mine, but I now try to be forever mindful of my switches before putting my mitts on em.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts