NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Beetle GLS. I have had an issue with the chimes for everything not working.. I dont get any chimes when the key is still in the ignition after the engine is turned off and the door is opened, when any of the lights on the dash come on such as the "low-fuel" light or "check engine" light comes on, no chime or alert when starting the car such as seat belt alerts or bells or rings as most cars have when you just start a car. Also no chime if the headlights are left on after the key is removed from the ignition.

I have no problems with the ignition or the key turning, all of my lights in the car turn on when I dis-arm the car, or open a door and they all fade out when the car is armed.

Any suggestions as to what it could be if there is a fuse that handles this or needs replaced or what else it could be. I have tried several searches and have gotten no straight answers.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you have VCDS, you can do an output test on the instrument cluster to make sure the chime/buzzer/gong speaker is working.

Also, if a car has a bad door latch that doesn't send an "open door signal", then the car would never know the door was opened, so no need to sound the alarms. Do the interior lights come on when you open the doors?

Fluffy rabbits... my dog chased.:confused:

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
The chime should work for the gas light and such though regardless of the door switch. I would bank on something else being up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have VCDS, you can do an output test on the instrument cluster to make sure the chime/buzzer/gong speaker is working.

Also, if a car has a bad door latch that doesn't send an "open door signal", then the car would never know the door was opened, so no need to sound the alarms. Do the interior lights come on when you open the doors?

Fluffy rabbits... my dog chased.:confused:
Yes, as stated when i open the doors the lights come on, and when i close them they go out, they also turn off and on when i arm/disarm the alarm.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Well yes, on the '05 at any rate!

I have a 2000 Beetle GLS. I have had an issue with the chimes for everything not working.. I dont get any chimes when the key is still in the ignition after the engine is turned off and the door is opened, when any of the lights on the dash come on such as the "low-fuel" light or "check engine" light comes on, no chime or alert when starting the car such as seat belt alerts or bells or rings as most cars have when you just start a car. Also no chime if the headlights are left on after the key is removed from the ignition.
I get no audible warnig when indicator/warning lights illumniate in the cluster, at least the ones that I have seen come on. Specifically, low fuel and MIL. As noted below, I can only speak for my '05. These features change as vehicles evolve over the years. Check you Owner's Manual to see what it says in this regard. If I get a chance, I'll look at the '00 OM and see what is says. I am sure, however, you should get a chime when starting the car if the seat belt(s) are not fastened (but perhaps a previous owner has deleted this), and a chime if the key is left in the ignition and a buzzer when the lights are left on. The latter two being door contol module an'or door lock micro-switch related.

Update: Had the Bug out and the fuel went to the red line, very short buzz as the light came on, then sporatidic short chime (both very subtle, hardly noticeable, nothing like the loud, annoying, chime for the failure to fasten seat belt - they oughta' be reversed to my way of thinking) till I got gas. First time I ever noticed it, but then I seldom let the gas get below 1/2.

Actually, you can go here (the relevant pages from your OM, Booklet 3.1), and look for yourself
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/new-member-forum/86570d1314447249-newbie-welcome-kit-00-nb-om-indicator-warning-lights.pdf
And also check here, the Qucik Start Reference Guide that came in your OM when it was originally installed in your car
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/new-member-forum/86568d1314445058-newbie-welcome-kit-00-nb-om-quick-reference-guide.pdf
Feel free to print these out and keep them in your glovebox for future reference. These, and other info, found in my
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html
Btw, if you need an OM, an invaluable guide every NB owner should have for their vehicle, I have the '00, and many others, available here
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/48896-fs-owners-manuals-40-shipped.html

I'll have a quick look in the OM and see if there is anything elsewhere in the manual that is relevant, and also have a quick look in the Bentley. I'll post up if I find any other information for you. Aside from this, you'll have to rely on the experiences of others.

Is there supposed to be a chime when the lights are left on with the ignition off?
Still waiting to hear if the NB is supposed to have a chime when lights are left on with the ignition off.
To "semi" answer your question, I have a chime that chirps when the key is switched off, but left in the ignition when the door is opened. For the headlights, I have a buzzer that sounds only with the door open if the key is off and removed, but the headlights are left on. I believe all my electronics are functioning properly.

I say "semi" answering your question, as this is on an '05. Warning chimes and buzzers may very well be different from year to year as the model evolves. Best to check you Owner's Manual. Also, fyi, you can go to the User CP, complete the information for your particular vehicle, and then everyone knows what vehicle YOU are talking about, when asking about your own vehicle.

Also, along the same, but different lines, I noticed yesterday, that if the headlights are left on when exiting the car, the headlights automatically go off when the door is opened and only the parking lights remain illuminated. I assume this is this way because of the requirement in many countries n Europe to burn your parking lights at night, when parked, and there is no position on the switch for just parking lights.

MORAV

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
To "semi" answer your question, I have a chime that chirps when the key is switched off, but left in the ignition when the door is opened. For the headlights, I have a buzzer that sounds only with the door open if the key is off and removed, but the headlights are left on. I believe all my electronics are functioning properly.

I say "semi" answering your question, as this is on an '05. Warning chimes and buzzers may very well be different from year to year as the model evolves. Best to check you Owner's Manual. Also, fyi, you can go to the User CP, complete the information for your particular vehicle, and then everyone knows what vehicle YOU are talking about, when asking about your own vehicle.
Thanks. It's an 01 1.8T Sport, btw. Not my car, my wife's. I work on it, but I don't like driving girl's cars ;)

I'll check the fuse block for a missing buzzer/chime. It doesn't make any noises for the key or the lights. No beeping for seatbelts, either. I believe the original owner disabled all warning noises.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thanks. It's an 01 1.8T Sport, btw. Not my car, my wife's. I work on it, but I don't like driving girl's cars ;)

I'll check the fuse block for a missing buzzer/chime. It doesn't make any noises for the key or the lights. No beeping for seatbelts, either. I believe the original owner disabled all warning noises.
"girl's cars"!!!!, Grrrr....:mad::mad::mad::mad:!, Oh, yeah, forgot! :rolleyes:
But then I grew up in an era (air-cooleds) when they weren't looked upon that way!
I'll check and see if the Bentley tells where they are located. I don't believe it's the fuse panel, or that hey are fused.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Yes, I know many around here are senstitive about the "perception" of their NBs. I can't help that. There are other cars that share the same problem. I'm probably closer to you in era than many on this forum, though. One year away from the big 4-0. Wow, I can't believe I just said that. It's interesting to me that you mix domestic V8s with the NBs (unless the NBs are your wife's...). I have six GM V8 cars, which keep me busy. Working on the NB has been quite the learing curve, but it saves a ton of money! She likes the car, so that makes me happy. Truth told, after ten years, it has been a pretty good car. Wheel bearings, brakes of course, aux water pump, timing belt/WP/etc, are all it has needed. Well, three coil pack recalls, too... lol

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
:roflmao:
I guess I’ll take the forty something comment as a compliment, being as how, as a few around here know, I’m just around the corner from the big 6-0. I don’t look it, feel it, or act it, so age really is more a state of mind. At least that’s how I deal with it! (lol).

I learned to drive a stick on Mom’s ’60 air-cooled, and learned to drive a BB on Dad’s Pontiac GP, 398 HO, both at about 12, and was rather proficient at street racing both by 16, along with the tickets to prove it. As with most kid’s of my generation I was happy to drive whatever I could beg the use of, on date night, although by then Mom’s ’60 had been replaced by a ’66 (a little newer, a little more stylish, and it had a radio, oh yeah, and a fuel gauge!). I had friend’s who had souped up old air-cooleds, and I drove Mom’s back and forth to school daily for a year, so I guess I never related Beetles to femininity, and don’t to this day.

I have had a love affair with the automobile since as long as I can remember. I have owned many cars over the years, but none I enjoyed driving any more than I enjoy driving “her” Vert; Wish this particular SE had been available in a turbo, as we have owned them also, but it is what it is. And it’s fun.

On the issue at hand, however, I can't find the location of the warning buzzer/chime(s), only mention of a warning buzzer J285 control module, but again no location, however, I'm having trouble opening up certain pages in the Bentley which is where I think that information may be. Gonna' check the paper Bentley and see if I can find anything there. Also talk to eBahn tomorrow and see what's up with the pages that won't open.

M.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

If any fuses are found that may control this please post and let me know what number. I have a few fuses in my fuse box that are missing and will try to do some research to make sure theres a fuse in all fuse spots.. Also, I remember I had disabled the daytime running lights on my 03 GTI by removing the headlight switch and bending down one of the tabs, I wonder if this could be done to disable the chimes? How would one go to disable the chimes then I can go and make sure that a previous owner didn't do this?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Maybe this will help!

As I read it, the buzzer/chime audible sounds originate from the instrument cluster.

There are two 32 pin terminals on the backside;
See the Instrument Cluster pages from the paper Bentley, attached below.
Here are the pin locations for the input signals

Blue (from production date 07/1999) 2000 MY forward
#21 - driver's door open warning buzzer
#26 - Parking light right (warning buzzer for lights on)
#27 - Parking lights left (warning buzzer for lights on)
#30 - Ignition key warning buzzer, terminal 86a (I don't have a clue... yet)
#31 - Seat belt warning lamp/buzzer

Green (from production date 07/1999) 2000 MY forward
#10 - Fuel reserve warning (where applicable)

Since the Bentley indicates the instrument cluster as non-serviceable, no other information is given. I believe the audible signal device, guessing there is only one, used by all, is in the cluster, and I'm sure is replaceable, but where it could be bought?... But you will have to depend on someone that has done it or your own device, there is not going to be any published information. Someone who has had theirs out, and open, for replacement of lights or the changing of color for the lights may be able to offer some input.

As no other warning buzzers are indicated, I would presume no other warning indicators have an audible signal.

I believe all these inputs can be tested via a Vag-Com, I believe I saw something to that effect in the DVD-ROM Repair Manual. I suppose these inputs could also be tested with a meter.

This might, and I say might, help you determine if it is out or how it may have been deleted by a po - Does your seat belt light work, if it does, and the audible doesn't (these are controlled by a single input), then the problem is in the cluster head, and has not been deleted by "clipping" or unplugging a sensor wire. If neither work, I would be looking for a clipped wire or unplug in the circuit. I used to disable this feature all the time on other type vehicles by simply pulling a plug under the seat.

I have a couple new instrument clusters.

M.

Attachments

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Hmm, it would be interesting if the buzzer/chime part was actually part of the cluster itself. I have never seen that on a car. They are usually on a fuse box or an accessory relay mount.

The DRLs still work as designed. The seat belt light works, but no noise. No noises for ANY of the input signals above.

Perhaps the functions were programmed out by VagCom? I really thought it would be a simple matter of pulling/replacing a part from under the dash. I should have known better. Nothing is simple when it comes to VW!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I don't know positively that it/they ARE in the cluster head, just my interprtation of what I consider poorly written information and logic. Just doesn't make any sense why there would be connector pins on the cluster, if the cluster is upstream of the respective sensors, or why they would be there at all for that matter unless the audible sound producing device were in the head. When I get a little time, I'll check the respective wiring schematics and see what I can determine from them. Perhaps someone with more knowledge, or personal experience will post up in the meantime.

M..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As I read it, the buzzer/chime audible sounds originate from the instrument cluster.

There are two 32 pin terminals on the backside;
See the Instrument Cluster pages from the paper Bentley, attached below.
Here are the pin locations for the input signals

Blue (from production date 07/1999) 2000 MY forward
#21 - driver's door open warning buzzer
#26 - Parking light right (warning buzzer for lights on)
#27 - Parking lights left (warning buzzer for lights on)
#30 - Ignition key warning buzzer, terminal 86a (I don't have a clue... yet)
#31 - Seat belt warning lamp/buzzer

Green (from production date 07/1999) 2000 MY forward
#10 - Fuel reserve warning (where applicable)

Since the Bentley indicates the instrument cluster as non-serviceable, no other information is given. I believe the audible signal device, guessing there is only one, used by all, is in the cluster, and I'm sure is replaceable, but where it could be bought?... But you will have to depend on someone that has done it or your own device, there is not going to be any published information. Someone who has had theirs out, and open, for replacement of lights or the changing of color for the lights may be able to offer some input.

As no other warning buzzers are indicated, I would presume no other warning indicators have an audible signal.

I believe all these inputs can be tested via a Vag-Com, I believe I saw something to that effect in the DVD-ROM Repair Manual. I suppose these inputs could also be tested with a meter.

This might, and I say might, help you determine if it is out or how it may have been deleted by a po - Does your seat belt light work, if it does, and the audible doesn't (these are controlled by a single input), then the problem is in the cluster head, and has not been deleted by "clipping" or unplugging a sensor wire. If neither work, I would be looking for a clipped wire or unplug in the circuit. I used to disable this feature all the time on other type vehicles by simply pulling a plug under the seat.

I have a couple new instrument clusters.

M.

My seatbelt warning light does turn on when i turn on the car, and goes off when the seatbelt is latched, just no audibles. I guess it must be the cluster head then... I will just leave it then, I dont have 600.00 to blow on a new cluster plus whatever it would cost to take it in to have it coded and such...

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
My seatbelt warning light does turn on when i turn on the car, and goes off when the seatbelt is latched, just no audibles. I guess it must be the cluster head then... I will just leave it then, I dont have 600.00 to blow on a new cluster plus whatever it would cost to take it in to have it coded and such...
We're still trying to determine is the audible signaling device is, in fact, in the cluster head. Stay tuned.

Btw, I have a couple of new clusters ($100 shipped). nothing like $600, but they do have to be coded in with a Vag-Com.

M.

·
Blurple Blast!
15 Posts
Buzzer quit

My daughter's 2001 had a weak piezo sound when we got it used about 2 1/2 years ago, we have it recorded on video when she got the car, or I would never have remembered. We finally figured out that it quit making any noise after she'd left the lights on a time or two. I asked ECS Tuning if the noisemaker was available as a replacement, because as some of you have said, they are usually a replaceable module. ECS said that it is part of the wiring harness, and is not available. It would be nice to find out otherwise! BTW, what is the best (and least expensive) source for finding out what device is causing a fault code, and what channel numbers do? I have ECS' scan tool but most times I'm not sure what it is telling me, their instructions are vague at best. The reason this is relates is because the tool does check outputs, and the piezo did not work.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts