NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
I am knew to these modern, H2O, engines. What exactly is a chip? Would I have to revmove mine and send it to them? Is this a hard thing to do? Will the 10 extra hp make a feel it in the seat of you pants difference? seems expensive for only 10 extra hp.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
15ft.lbs. of torque... that's above 10% isn't it? I dunno if you'll feel it or not, people have different sensitivity.

What exactly? It's software. fuel/timing maps to run the injectors.

On the turbo bugs it makes a huge difference, because it alters the boost levels as well; but there's still some to be gained just through the injectors and timing on the 2.0 I guess.

www.upsolute.com also has a chip for 2.0's

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Upsolute still has a speed limmiter, gaic takes theres off.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
True, but how often will you drive that fast? Without adding some aerodynamic aids, the bug gets awfully squirrely at high speeds.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OUCH! Green!
Umm....... I wouldnt dare go that fast on the road....
Im going to a High speed track meet. Kinda like a dyno meet.
Its on a 5 mile oval track. 115 mph isnt that fast on that track.
Im sure if i had no limit it could get into the 130-140 mark.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was thinking about doing this earlier but sending my chip off seemed like it would be a pain. Anyway if you order the upsolute chip tell me how it goes. Do you really think you could get your 2.0 to go 140? Mine revs pretty high so i couldn't see it making it to 140, but what do i know...

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Speed limiters exist for a purpose.

Think about it. If they existed for your personal safety, don't you think that all cars would be set at the same speed limit?

The speed limiter is there to keep your engine from getting fried.

Doing 140 is not going to help your car any.

That's my advice for the day, for what it's worth...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well... when u start paying my bills then you can tell me what to, and what not to do with my car. Secondly i really dont think thats cool to sit there and dis me just because i dont want bmw drivers to laugh.
Just for your sake i might throw the Vr6 Twin turbo off the drag car out back. and put it in the bug. Then i can do 180!
Not all beetle drivers want the car to do 140+, but maby one does. Not cool to flam! I dont make fun of people posting on how to change there oil do I? NO, so back off!!!

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
I find the New Beetle to feel quite solid at triple digit speeds. Then again I have that lil flip up spoiler that redirects the airflow and gives a wee bit of downforce. I have had mine deep into the triple digits on numerous occasions and have had zero instability issues.

There are many factors involved in making a car feel stable at speeds.

A light touch on the steering wheel.

Proper tire pressures.

Proper alignment.

Correct suspension geometry. Worn shocks or too stiff shocks will cause lots of issues.

Ride hieght

etc.

If you do not have the training, skills and proper set up do not try this at home. Things happen really quickly at triple digit speeds and one tiny problem or mistake can cost you your life and maybe a few others in the process.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
SMG said:
Speed limiters exist for a purpose.

Think about it. If they existed for your personal safety, don't you think that all cars would be set at the same speed limit?

The speed limiter is there to keep your engine from getting fried.

There are several different types of speed limiters and for several different reasons. Most speed limiters are set for the tires on the vehicle. That is why you see numbers like 118mph, 128mph etc. Those are there for the tires supplied from the manufacturer. If you upgrade your tire to a higher speed rating you can safely disable that limiter.

Then there are the rev limiters which simply are there to prevent damage to the engine. These arent really speed limiters but do act as one in top gear at redline. This is one you do not want to remove.

Most european cars that can exceed 155mph have limters set at that speed. It is not mandatory but there has been an agreement between the manufactures to limit the speed to 155mph in hopes that Germany won't impose speed limits on the open parts of the Autobahn. Some of the specialty cars like Porsches and such have abandoned that limiter but most BMWs, Audis, and Benzes have that in place.

Then there are the limiters by law.. like in Japan where a kei class car can not exceed 89mph or in the US where mopeds are limited to 20mph.

Very rarely are the limiters in place due to actual handeling issues or out of danger to the driver.

Now we come to the final one for the night. The ones installed by the owner. Like in resort communitys where they limit the speed of golf carts to 7mph or Delivery vans to 60mph or by valet modes that limit the speed to 30mph or so.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i can say in my definse that im not just going to do 140 down the high way. I have Z Rated tires on the bug. [150+ tires]
Also i do plan on going with the 2.0 platform for the nxt drag car. So I will need the speed limiter off. Just for 1/4 mile sake. Our vr6 twin turbo power passat does 12.3's right now. we have hit over 115 in the 1/4th so..

I have one more Q. I had an apointment with awe on monday. But im not so sure now.. I cant have my car down for 3 days. So the Q is [are there any flash loader options for the 2.0?]

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
BlackBug said:
Well... when u start paying my bills then you can tell me what to, and what not to do with my car. Secondly i really dont think thats cool to sit there and dis me just because i dont want bmw drivers to laugh.
Just for your sake i might throw the Vr6 Twin turbo off the drag car out back. and put it in the bug. Then i can do 180!
Not all beetle drivers want the car to do 140+, but maby one does. Not cool to flam! I dont make fun of people posting on how to change there oil do I? NO, so back off!!!
Dude, eat me.

That's the last time I try to be helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chip upgrade

I own a 2.0L Auto Right Hand Drive. I want to increase Torque and hp so that i can pull the weight of my 18" Konis. It's feeling a bit sluggish right now. Need more power to pull the car coming out of turns.
Any suggestions? Please help.
by the way, found a supercharger at www.neuspeed.com but the thing is, it's only meant for the Left hand drive. It won't fit into the RHD because the brake pump is in the way.
Help! i need more power! :)

·
BeetleMan
4 Posts
Well I have a 01 new beetle and I love going fast in my beetle I never saw my self driving a VW Beetle But I love it!!,I've done very little to the engine its self but I have hit 135mph on the highway with notting done to it but adding a cold air intake and yes I mean cold air! not that air filter that you add to your MAF but True Pontiac RAM AIR and let me tell you its nice seeing the faces on those import tuners owners when i hit 3 gear and see yeahhhh and it only cost me 50.00 for the k&n and 10.00 for a hose and VW for the little space it left in front of the pass. wheel, Its like they knew that a air filter would fit perfectly there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts