NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi so i have a 2000 vw beetle 2.0 and im looking to chip it and add a muffler that gives it a better sound. I've looked everywhere and I haven't really found a clear answer on which muffler or chip would be best to give my bug a good sound and add for horsepower. Im currently running no catalytic converter. What would be the next best step?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
Unfortunately, the 2.0 isn't one that is going to get a lot of power from mods, especially a tune. Its going to cost more than its worth, in my opinion. As far as an exhaust, I know 42 Draft Designs has good products but not sure what all they have for the 2.0. Its not an engine designed for power so there aren't a lot of options.

Reactions: BayK

·
Registered
1964 Deluxe, 2005 GLS 2014 Rline
247 Posts
personally wouldn't bother with a tune. Too expense for virtually no gain. the 2.0 is a reliable engine but that's it. as for a muffler. just get a magna flow or flow master and have a shop replace the rear box with it. sound much better.

·
Registered
13,861 Posts
In the past, people went with a neuspeed supercharger kit or Upgraded the camshaft for a bit of a performance improvement.

If performance is what you are after; sell your 2.0L new beetle and upgrade to a 1.8T, preferably a Turbo S (180 hp awp 1.8t) and it comes with the 02M six speed standard transmission. In stock form, a quick and fun little car; plus a good foundation for more performance upgrades if you want! :)

·
Registered
13,861 Posts
What are your goals? Are you trying to make it a bit louder then stock and/or a bit of a improvement in performance? I don't know, what your budget is; you might check with some local muffler shops, see what they charge to make one for you and add a free flowing muffler, like a flowmaster, etc.

Otherwise, if you need a full cat back exhaust; you might check some of the oem muffler/exhaust systems from Bosal and then, others, like Magnaflow, Borla, TechTonicsTuning, Megan Racing, etc.

This Megan Racing system; looks like a affordable option on sale:

If the upgraded exhaust sound; is a issue, you might watch some of the exhaust sound videos on youtube:

If you bought a premade replacement exhaust; you could replace it yourself, that might save you some money on installation, at a muffler shop?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are your goals? Are you trying to make it a bit louder then stock and/or a bit of a improvement in performance? I don't know, what your budget is; you might check with some local muffler shops, see what they charge to make one for you and add a free flowing muffler, like a flowmaster, etc.

Otherwise, if you need a full cat back exhaust; you might check some of the oem muffler/exhaust systems from Bosal and then, others, like Magnaflow, Borla, TechTonicsTuning, Megan Racing, etc.

This Megan Racing system; looks like a affordable option on sale:

If the upgraded exhaust sound; is a issue, you might watch some of the exhaust sound videos on youtube:

If you bought a premade replacement exhaust; you could replace it yourself, that might save you some money on installation, at a muffler shop?
So right now im trying to find a mudflee

·
Registered
13,861 Posts
Good question, most of the performance exhaust systems I'm seeing from popular brands; are using 2.5" sizes but I'm not convinced, that 1/4" would make a major difference in a stock 2.0L? Are you doing a whole cat back exhaust or just a muffler? If your exhaust is worn, rusted out and in need of replacement; the whole cat back exhaust from Megan Racing, maybe a better cost effective solution, you could install yourself?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good question, most of the performance exhaust systems I'm seeing from popular brands; are using 2.5" sizes but I'm not convinced, that 1/4" would make a major difference i a 2.0L? Are you doing a whole cat back exhaust or just a muffler?
I plan on just doing a muffler for now

·
Registered
13,861 Posts
By the time, you pay for any needed exhaust welding or installation at a muffler shop; you might be close, to the cost of a full cat back from Megan? The cat back would be all new and you get a nice dual chrome tail pipe to boot! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By the time, you pay for any needed exhaust welding or installation at a muffler shop; you might be close, to the cost of a full cat back from Megan? The cat back would be all new and you get a nice dual chrome tail pipe to boot! :)
Actually my dad does welding and stuff he's actually the one for took my cat out and welded the piping together to make it work, so muffler shop prices wouldn't be an issue I just want to make sure whatever muffler I buy is gonna fit properly like either a 2.25 or 2.5. Also I appreciate your help a ton 😁

·
Registered
13,861 Posts
I guess, if you are going to reuse your existing exhaust system; then, you need to measure it and see what the diameter is? Obviously, there are pipe expanding tools and you can buy the pipe reducers. Then, you could have your dad weld or clamp them on (having the right size; would be better)? I think the stock pipe sizes; are less than 2.25"?

·
Registered
80 Posts
On my BRUTE that I finished a couple weeks ago, I have that same engine. I still have the cat, and the center muffler, but removed the rear muffler. I replaced that with a piece of straight pipe , turned down at the end. My goal was to make the unit sound a bit more " trucky " , and it is great ! It now has the perfect European power sound, without being annoying.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts