VW Beetle Forum banner

chipping my 01 sport beetle...

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  GGKauten 
#1 ·
Ok, here's where the new beetle owner asks for opinions on modding and chips. In a couple of months I'd like to start modding my 01 Sport. I want to add a chip but am wondering how much HP it'll add for a basic APR chip and if I should do anything else to it at the same time to make the turbo kick in faster. Next question, how hard on all the engine, tranny and clutch parts is it if I drive normally?:rolleyes:

When I finally need to take it in for service, can the VW dealership tell I've got a chip? Lastly, when I go to sell the Beetle, how hard is it to take the chip out or is it there permanently?

Almost forgot the most important question. How much does a chip decrease my mileage if I drive normally. Originally we bought this as a commuter and we like the 31mpg.

Thanks!:D

#2 ·
If you have an AWV motor you'll be up to about 209 at the crank. No other mods are critical at the time of install, however, a good exhaust, k & n air filter, and maybe a new diverter valve are things to think upgrading in the near future after you get the chip. The dealer will not be able to tell if you have the chip other than driving it. You can always do what I did and get two programs with your chip, one that is chipped mode and two that is stock mode. That way if you have to get it serviced you can turn off the chip so they really can't tell. As for gas mileage, I average about 27mpg with 80% freeway and 20% in town. If I drive more around town it may drop to about 25mpg. By the way, you'll find it very hard to drive "normal" once you have the extra boost. I do my best and those are the numbers I have come up with. As for removal, since it is not really a hard wired chip, simply a reprogram of you ecu, I'm not totally sure if it can be done to where you can keep it. It can be flashed over though if you did not want anyone to bennifit from being on your car. Let me know if you have any more questions. Also check out http://www.goapr.com for more details.

#3 ·
I do have the AWV motor. Did you notice an immediate difference in power? Is your 1.8T a little quicker now or a whole lot faster? Just wondering if it makes that much difference. Also, have you broken or worn out any parts because of the new power, clutches, engine mounts, turbos, etc...

Where did you buy yours, cost, etc... ?

#5 ·
The chip alone is a great upgrade and you'll definately feel a big difference. The car will fly compared to stock.
Some Software versions are tuned for an exhaust and intake upgrades so if you want to add a Turbo back exhaust, it will make another 20hp or so.
The stock airbox with a K&N drop-in filter is all you need, don't bother with an aftermarket intake, it won't really make any more power, just more noise unless you want that.

An upgraded Diverter Valve is a must, however if you have the 710N DV on your car it will hold up fine. That may have come on some of the newer cars, I'm not sure. I know my 2001 GLX did NOT have it, so I got one...only $35 or so. It can hold more boost.

Ask your APR dealer or whatever Software you go with about versions for stock exhaust or aftermarket ones if you plan to add one.

Some people also end up changing their N75 valve to eliminate part throttle boost surging which can happen from any software upgrade. Each engine is different and each one responds differently to the upgrades you have.
For example, I changed my stock N75F to the N75J but I have Revo Stage2 software and a full 2.5" Turbo back exhaust. Now my car is butter smooth and very fast.

I don't know what HP number my car makes, I never dyno'd it, but I know it's substantially faster than stock and really flies! :D

#6 ·
When you added the new exhaust was it any louder? Did you add one of those "chainsaw" mufflers like I see on the Honda's or is there a way to add a larger diameter pipe and keep semi-quiet. Does adding the larger diameter pipe make the turbo spool faster and come in at lower revs?? Thanks for the input.:cool:

#7 ·
Larger diameter exhaust noise can be controlled to some degree by a quiet muffler, but the more quiet a muffler the more restrictive, negating the benefit of a larger diameter exhaust. But no, you don't use a fartcan muffler -- most are loud but are deeper in tone.

I have messed with all various N75 mods, from a stock F to the ECS H to the Audi J and none of them are really worth the trouble. If you want to control the wastegate to some degree, use the stock F valve in conjunction with a manually adjustable boostvale from www.boostvalve.com -- you can adjust the valve according to your needs and the entire kit is cheaper than a new N75. All the N75 mods do is retard response so the wastegate does not open or close as swiftly as reuqested by the ECU, which assumes the responsiveness of the stock F.

Surging issues are due to stock upgrade programs designed towards the lowest common denominator. The best way to solve a surge issue is to change the program -- this is possible with some tuners, such as APR and RevoTechnik, whose dealers can tweak the aftermarket map to match your vehicle's particular needs.

#8 ·
Billsbug said:
A...whole...lot...faster...:wink2:
Faster and Quicker. I just recently upgraded my motor mounts to some polyurithane mounts and what a difference that made. With the added power from the chip I constantly was getting wheel hop. The mounts took care of that problem for me. I'm sot sure if my DV valve is going or gone but I have been experencing some surging lately. I plan on replacing it soon either way. Since you live in WA you can get your chip installed at Achtuning LLC in Redmond or Futrell Autowerks in Portland. I got mine from Dean Futrell. He's a pretty cool guy and will take good care of you. The chip itself costs $499 and there is a $44 install fee. Very much worth it!

#9 ·
Yes it got louder with a new exhaust.
To allow more flow, the aftermarket mufflers are usually straight flow through designs. These don't muffle the sound as much, however some are quieter than others.
I really like my exhaust. At first I though it was loud, but it just had one rpm zone of resonance that is a little loud, but for normal cruising I can't hear it and there is no drone in the car. From the outside it is loud when I pull away under load, but as the engine winds out, it is actually reasonably quiet, but makes a nice aggressive tone. I have since learned to keep away from that resonance zone since I don't like loud mufflers, but I like the power.

The exhaust really makes a difference in the mid-high RPM power. It makes the car pull much better up top and actually smoothed out the power curve to my liking.

#10 ·
When chipping your car gas mileage depends on a lot of things. The biggest of course is how you drive. Chipping the car gives you about 1 hp gain for every 10$ you spend, thus it's the cheapest and quickest way to boost up hp on a turbo car. With this you will love the power a LOT more and in this probably stomp the throttle a little more to feel her throw you against your seat.

But typical driving in the city you will decrease in gas mileage just because it runs a more efficient fuel map running your car a little more lean but a little harder. On the highway it should actually increase because since you are running lean your car will stretch your gas further than stock. The stock fuel map actually runs your car rich to compensate for other factors such as rough idles and things of that nature.

In my opinion, the chip may be a little more out of pocket than other upgrades, but depending on which one you go with you can actually get more horsepower per dollar than any other upgrade. So I say go for it, but make sure you do your research. I think APR just came out with a program that allows you to "chip" on the fly with a laptop! :) hehe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.