NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
Keep in mind that you have a different 1.8T motor than all other 1.8T NBs. Yours has the 180hp vs. the 150hp motor in all the other NBs so your tuning outcome will be different.

I've not chipped yet, but I'm looking at chipping my GTI next year sometime. $500 for 35-40hp gain and better MPGs is worth it in my book.

As far as issues with the tune, it all depends on the tuner. Some people have had issues with certain tunes but get a different ones and its all fine. Which company are you looking at?

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Keep in mind that you have a different 1.8T motor than all other 1.8T NBs. Yours has the 180hp vs. the 150hp motor in all the other NBs so your tuning outcome will be different.

I've not chipped yet, but I'm looking at chipping my GTI next year sometime. $500 for 35-40hp gain and better MPGs is worth it in my book.

As far as issues with the tune, it all depends on the tuner. Some people have had issues with certain tunes but get a different ones and its all fine. Which company are you looking at?
I'm looking at Achtuning located in Redmond, WA. near Seattle. And, I'm looking at having them install the APR module for this engine....MPG's also improve w/this mod? Really? I wouldn't have thought that...I'd've thought they would decrease somewhat...
P.S.-you've got a very nice black GTI! I actually like the look and lines of that generation better than the current one....:>)

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
Not sure about APR, but I know Unitronic tunes can help your MPGs. I think a big part of it is that it makes the fueling more efficient so you get better power, and as a side effect, you get better MPGs. Don't quote me on that one though...I don't know too much about the magic behind tuning. But my mechanic is a Unitronic dealer so I've heard a lot of good about them. Once you get crazy mods, MPGs will suffer I'm sure, but a basic tune does seem to help.

And thanks, I'm loving the GTI! I loved my NB, but the GTI gives so much more usable space. And I get that 180hp motor as well...a nice bump from the 115hp 2.0L that was in my NB :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
AchTuning and APR have excellent reputations; good choices!

The APR chip-tuning for the VW 1.8L 20V turbo-engine is well-sorted and quite reliable. The APR chip-tuning can be ordered with more than one program; (1) valet mode that severely limits the power available essentially to that of a non-turbocharged engine, (2) 91-octane program, resulting in 209 horsepower and 242 lb-ft of torque on 91-octane fuel (3) 93-octane program, resulting in 215 horsepower and 247 lb-ft of torque on 93-octane fuel and (4) Exact OEM Calibration Stock Mode (useful for passing state emissions tests). :D

The APR chip-tuning allows you to select programs by means of the cruise-control buttons/switches; very convenient. :)

Be aware that the OEM/factory turbo-boost diverter valve will not be up to the task of handling that much power. AchTuning offers a number of after-market diverter valves that will get the job done; they're direct plug-in replacements for the factory part. :cool:

Good Luck!

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AchTuning and APR have excellent reputations; good choices!

The APR chip-tuning for the VW 1.8L 20V turbo-engine is well-sorted and quite reliable. The APR chip-tuning can be ordered with more than one program; (1) valet mode that severely limits the power available essentially to that of a non-turbocharged engine, (2) 91-octane program, resulting in 209 horsepower and 242 lb-ft of torque on 91-octane fuel (3) 93-octane program, resulting in 215 horsepower and 247 lb-ft of torque on 93-octane fuel and (4) Exact OEM Calibration Stock Mode (useful for passing state emissions tests). :D

The APR chip-tuning allows you to select programs by means of the cruise-control buttons/switches; very convenient. :)

Be aware that the OEM/factory turbo-boost diverter valve will not be up to the task of handling that much power. AchTuning offers a number of after-market diverter valves that will get the job done; they're direct plug-in replacements for the factory part. :cool:

Good Luck!
thanks for the tip on the turbo-boost diverter valve. I didn't know about the OEM's deficiencies when power is significantly increased....

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Those of you that have chipped your turbo NBs, were the results what you expected and were you generally pleased with the outcome?
The modern way of tuning is a direct port tune without any chip involved but YES, it is the BEST Bang for your performance buck you will ever spend on a Turbo charged vehicle. The difference in performance is like night and day and you can most definitely feel the difference. I have the REVO stage 1 tune. The recently dropped their prices on all 1.8 engines from $499 to $399 and sometimes they even have sales on top of that. APR also had a nice tune. I almost went with APR but for my car (2000 1.8 APH engine) they couldn't do a direct port tune and the chip would have been an additional $75.00 on top of the $499. So I went with REVO which had no problems doing a direct port tune and the car runs GREAT!! I also have a SPS3 switch which lets me fine tune the timing, boost and also lets me turn on antitheft mode and vallet mode so nobody can hot rod your car without you knowing it. Will turn your 150HP Beetle into a 200+HP beetle a very significant difference.

Be sure to get an aftermarket Diverter valve since the old stock unit will not last long with the additional boost of the tune. A open air intake is also suggested but not required for Stage 1. Other than that nothing else is needed. Expect to smile a lot more when you drive your Beetle :D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

According to my tuner there is a bigger difference with the 150HP engines than with the 180HP engines. The end result is very similar. Sure the 180HP will make slightly better HP numbers than the 150 but the torque numbers are very similar. Regardless it is a very well spent mod.
Don't spend $499.00 but get it for $399.00 or less with the REVO tune. I had both my Audi TT's (225HP) Stage 2 Tuned with Revo and I never had an issue with surging or any other drivability problems. The Beetle is no different. Runs great and has plenty of juice to get up on moving.
Oh, don't expect an increase in gas mileage that is more than likely not going to happen. Sure in a perfect world where you get your car tuned and then lighten your foot since you really don't want to have fun with your car and accellerate a bit more than you used to. :rolleyes: But on the other hand, I never really experienced a decrease in mileage either. ;)

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
I am going to be chipping my 2004 1.8T NB in the near future. I live in Central Missouri and don't know if there are any shops around here. I hear about a few places to go with. Do you just send in your ECM? What is the steps involved in this process? I'm new to the Beetle and the 1.8 turbo. I do want to step up the performance, but within guidelines of manufacturing. So, a first stage would be what I'm looking at!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I am going to be chipping my 2004 1.8T NB in the near future. I live in Central Missouri and don't know if there are any shops around here. I hear about a few places to go with. Do you just send in your ECM? What is the steps involved in this process? I'm new to the Beetle and the 1.8 turbo. I do want to step up the performance, but within guidelines of manufacturing. So, a first stage would be what I'm looking at!
See if there is a shop that does REVO tune's in your area. I actually sent mine to REVO in Atlanta and they turned around and sent it back Overnight. They have a very quick turn around. But if there is a dealer close by you might as well do it locally that way you don't have to mess with taking the ECU out of the Beetle which is a bit of a pain. The difference in performance is amazing. Took my Beetle from 150HP and 160 lbs of torque to 200HP and 235lbs of torque. That is a very noticable difference. No other mod will give you that much of a gain. Also REVO is the least expensive option for a Stage 1 tune. Earlier this year they lowered their prices on all 1.8 engine tunes to $399. I am very happy the way my Beetle performs and would highly recommend REVO.
Here is a link to a REVO dealer search:
Revo | Dealer Search

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, after searchin' the net for comparisons, it appears to me that the great majority of chip tuners are most enthusiastic about the results they get with the Unitronic flash tune. I got a quote from a local Unitronic dealer and a stage I tune for $500. would increase my Turbo S's HP from 180 to 215 and the torque (now THIS is what REALLY impressed me) from 172 to 235 foot lbs.! Now those are quite impressive numbers for a stage I chip tune and, according to all these guys who have had a Unitronic flash done, you can really feel it by the seat of your pants when you get on the pedal. Therefore, right now I am definitely leaning toward Unitronic. :D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Well, after searchin' the net for comparisons, it appears to me that the great majority of chip tuners are most enthusiastic about the results they get with the Unitronic flash tune. I got a quote from a local Unitronic dealer and a stage I tune for $500. would increase my Turbo S's HP from 180 to 215 and the torque (now THIS is what REALLY impressed me) from 172 to 235 foot lbs.! Now those are quite impressive numbers for a stage I chip tune and, according to all these guys who have had a Unitronic flash done, you can really feel it by the seat of your pants when you get on the pedal. Therefore, right now I am definitely leaning toward Unitronic. :D
To be honest any Stage 1 chip tune will produce very similar results. There is only so much they can adjust until it becomes unsafe or you hit "Limp" Mode. And YES you will definitely feel the difference (seat of your pants) regardless which tune you choose. Revo Stage 1 is $399 but if there is a Unitronic tuner in your area and you like what you read than by all means. Go for it! :D Either way you will not be disapointed. ;)

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To be honest any Stage 1 chip tune will produce very similar results. There is only so much they can adjust until it becomes unsafe or you hit "Limp" Mode. And YES you will definitely feel the difference (seat of your pants) regardless which tune you choose. Revo Stage 1 is $399 but if there is a Unitronic tuner in your area and you like what you read than by all means. Go for it! :D Either way you will not be disapointed. ;)
THANKS Indy Tom! :)

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
I'll be getting Uni on my GTI next year sometime. My mechanic is a dealer and I've heard nothing but good things from people who get tuned there. APR and Revo I've heard good things about but I also know a few who have ditched Revo for Uni and been much happier.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I'll be getting Uni on my GTI next year sometime. My mechanic is a dealer and I've heard nothing but good things from people who get tuned there. APR and Revo I've heard good things about but I also know a few who have ditched Revo for Uni and been much happier.
Happier in regards to performance or happier in regards to reliability? There is only so much that a Stage 1 tune can do.
You don't want it too agressive that every time you get into the boost that Limp Mode is triggered or too lean that you may have to fear detonation. I am sure that Unitronics is a very good program just like Revo or APR. I am just saying that at a Stage 1 tune there really isn't that much difference between any of them. Now when you get into more High end mods like bigger Turbo and FMIC, larger injectors, down pipe, 3 inch exhaust, then it really depends on the individual tuner and his expertise and experience. I have had an APR tune on my 2001 Audi TT and a REVO on my 2004 Audi TT. Both Stage 1 and to be honest I could never tell any difference whatsoever. Then I got a downpipe and some other mods on my 2004 and a Stage II tune and yes there was a difference. So it all depends on the car and the mods you have and which stage tune and the ability of the tuner to fine tune it just right.
If you are going for a stage 1 I would say go with the one that is closest to you and one that is the least expensive. The differences on a Stage 1 will be very minimal.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts