NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
WolfsburgEdition Advocate
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any suggestions? im picking up my 01 GLX 1.8 turbo on friday, wanted to look into the chip selection and average prices... something to get the boost on my stock turbo atleast into the 12's, unless it can handle more...

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
I can see that you have an APH by yout Vortex blue color concept. That means you have the smaller (impeller) KO3 Turbo vs the KO3S.. It also means you don't have the variable cam timing of the AWV...

What all this really boils down to is that you are far more limited in your chip choices. It comes down to 2 companies.

www.giacusa.com and www.goapr.com They are both going to run you $500 for the chip and $50 for the 4 bar fuel pressure regulator.

www.ecstuning.com is an excellant source for the APR chip if you so desire. They also sell a lot of other neat things for the bug.

Tom aka Fowvay.

PS.. congrats on your awesome bug purchase. Vortex blue is one of my fave colors and don't feel too short changed on the APH engine. I have one in my bug too and it still hauls ass. :D

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Depends on the production date Tom...I know there was at least one AWV Vortex on the old org (Mr Beetle I think)...the only way to tell will be once he gets it...there wasn't an underhood shot in the ad. If you're lucky enough to catch an AWV Vortex (there's not many out there), then like Tom said, you'll have the K03S turbo, which handles more boost, and larger injectors as well. The APH is a "hardware" 150HP (smaller parts than the Jetta/Golf's AWD motor), whereas the AWV is a "software" 150HP in terms of limits (7psi instead of 9psi in the TurboS/Jetta/GTI's AWP)...

Hope this helps.

If you have an AWV, do check out www.revotechnik.com for chips. I had one in my ex's 2003 AWV and we never had an ounce of trouble in 2 years...

Easiest way to tell which one you have: if your engine cover says "1.8 Turbo", you have an APH. If your engine cover says "20V Turbo", then you have an AWV.

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
That's not true, either. My cover says 1.8 Turbo and it's an AWV.

Easiest way to tell is to look in the trunk for the sticker in the spare tire well.

All major tuners have APH programs, you shouldn't be limited to just GIAC and APR -- but you will be limited in terms of performance gains, especially when you try to increase power through mods beyond the chip.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Paul- I've never seen an AWV with the 1.8 Turbo cover...weird. But yeah, I'd double-check the trunk and see if that sticker is still there.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Or check the sticker on the timing belt cover... ;)

-Des

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
The Cheat said:
Paul- I've never seen an AWV with the 1.8 Turbo cover...weird. But yeah, I'd double-check the trunk and see if that sticker is still there.
I've got a 2001.5 made in October 2000. My guess is the 20V cover started showing up in early 2001 but the earlier AWVs made in the last few months of 2000 still sported the 1.8 badge. I know it's an AWV because the sticker in the spare tire well says so... that and the engraved metal tab on the engine itself (that's another way to check, though it apparently is not engraved on some Turbo S models, where it's just blank).

·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks for the info guys, the help is much appreciated. I'll get more info on the turbo on friday when i nab the car off the lot...I'm used to runnin my good'ole 84 z-28 around, and that thing (its an engine swapped 454 out of a chevelle, twin holley 750 carbs, crane cam, bored 30 over, porcelain poured valves, aluminum intake and heads,12 bolt dana rear with 373 gears, blah blah)is naturally aspired. But since winters coming and the car isnt really reliable, i nabbed the beetle. My mom has a 2.0 liter GLS, bright yellow, and the second i got into this one and put it into gear, I could totally feel the difference in torque...those 50 extra stock ponies go a long way...

·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the info guys, the help is much appreciated. I'll get more info on the turbo on friday when i nab the car off the lot...I'm used to runnin my good'ole 84 z-28 around, and that thing (its an engine swapped 454 out of a chevelle, twin holley 750 carbs, crane cam, bored 30 over, porcelain poured valves, aluminum intake and heads,12 bolt dana rear with 373 gears, blah blah)is naturally aspired. But since winters coming and the car isnt really reliable, i nabbed the beetle. My mom has a 2.0 liter GLS, bright yellow, and the second i got into this one and put it into gear, I could totally feel the difference in torque...those 50 extra stock ponies go a long way...

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
My 2001 GLX has the 1.8 Turbo engine cover and it's an AWV.
I too have Revo Software and love it. Great power and very smooth.

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
Speaking of Revo, I just had Stage 2 flashed yesterday myself. :)

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Paul...that makes all the sense in the world then. :) If you had an early 01.5 with the AWV, they could have been using up old stock on the covers. All the AWVs I've seen must be late 01.5s then. Either way, the only way to tell is from the option sticker in the manual or the trunk. I've seen a few 1.8Ts with no marking where they're supposed to be engraved on the motor.

Revo kicks, doesn't it? Soon the TDI program will be out, and I can reflash with them. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am planning to install a REVO chip or software, I am just wondering if you experience any problem in the engine ? Can you please enlighten me about yyour experience ,advantage and disadvantage about the REVO. I am planning to have it done next week . Thank you

·
Resident Mazdaspeed Guru
25 Posts
so wait a minute... the awv has a ko3s?!

everything i have seen so far shows it as a reguarl ko3?

·
Lay Lady Lay
968 Posts
I just had my chip done by APR a few weekends ago at a show (they usually run a special and knock $100 or so off the regular price).

It ran me $399 for the 4 options that I can run based on the fuel I put in - they installed it right then and there, showed me how to work it, and everything. (And even kept it a secret from the hubby that I was getting the car chipped right then and there - he thinks I got a check engine code cleared off).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts