NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a timing belt on my 05 vw beetle 2.0 non turbo. Day 1 driving to work went great. On the way home I started to have a chirp every time I hit the gas or brakes and now I’m noticing while I’m turning the wheel. I did do the timing belt myself which ended up being a nightmare due to finding out the cam shaft censor went out after finishing the job and took a while to trouble shoot due to it only making the car have shift issues. I replaced the tensioner and alternator and did replace the serpentine belt and no difference. I’m guessing the crank pully is incorrect some how due to me not putting it back on with an impact but that’s jus a guess. If anyone is familiar with this issue please help me out because guessing isn’t getting me no where. My tensioner is wiggling back and forth about a 1/4 inch if that helps any. Only have the issues while accelerating and hitting the brakes and now while turning the wheel back and forth. I tried to tighterln the pully a lil more but still feel like I need to take it off and put an impact on it. Looking at the pullys while the car is running everything looks straight and nothing looks abnormal. The car still drives good but scared I could cause damage to it after doing all this work to it. Timing belt water pump cam shaft censor serpentine belt alternator tensioner are all the things I have replaced already. Plus a few other things while I was guessing the cam shaft issue but that’s all irrelevant for the issue I’m having.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Take the serpentine belt off and run it a bit, see if the noise is still present, you’ll have lights on your dash like the alternator light and maybe a couple more. However if the noise goes away you’ll know it’s in the serpentine belt path if the noise is still present you’ll know it’s in the timing belt path.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m trying my best to not take it to the dealer. It’s just a work car I wanna fix correctly and sell. I’ve done everything correctly so far so wanna keep it that way til the end so it’s a safe vehicle for the next person

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
Pulling the serpentine belt; is a good and quick way to isolate that belt path.

If the noise is still there, i would check the timing belt tensioner; it is easy to get it cockeyed and not set the tension correctly. Here is a good video; going over the details, to look out for:

Another issue we have heard about is a failing harmonic balancer: causing uneven belt path, possible slipping, the grooved portion moving out of the normal centered positioning, it should be at, making the serpentine belt squeal and movement between outer/inner portion, that is separated by the dampening rubber.

Hopefully, some of these ideas; will help you find the source if the belt noise. Let us know; what you find, thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No chirp with serpentine belt off gotta bad feeling the tensioner main be bad but would hater to buy another 1 guessing but it does move back in forth a quarter to half inch. My timing tensioner doesn’t look nothing like the one in the video on the teeth lines for placement but it’s right and no movement

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also jus realized I did buy the tensioner off eBay. The rest of the parts where bought from orielys.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really close to taking this thing to the dealer :(. I could go buy another tensioner and if it doesn’t fix it I could return it. This car has been a big guessing game. Anyway a motor mount could cause a chirp issue ? I know I’m fishing with that question but jus curious after everything I’ve replaced.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,011 Posts
You said the chirp is gone with the serp belt off correct? If thats the case, then you know its part of the serpentine belt system. Did you replace the serp tensioner or just the timing belt one?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replaced both. The serpentine belt tensioner I got on eBay unfortunately. The timing belt tensioner came with the kit from orielys. The serpentine tensioner has a quarter to half inch movement back and forth while the car is running. I have a good feeling that’s it. Doesn’t help I only paid 20$ for it on eBay. I did jus purchase one from auto zone for 99$ jus waiting for it to come In to install so I can test it. If it doesn’t fix the issue I’ll return it with no issues since my buddy works up their. This is about the only thing left it could be imo besides the crank pully but I did try to tighten it more last weekend and didn’t get no extra turn on it at all. When the belt is hooked up I see no skipping or jumping on the belt and all the pullys look straight as an arrow. I did replace the belt also jus for giggles

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will say this site is amazing. Yal have been super helpful thru the whole process of this nightmare. Smileybug I remember u well from my last issue on the timing issue u helped me with and gratefully appreciate it. I’m jus waiting on the part to come In and from their I’ll let yal know how it goes. I’m also gonna redo the timing tensioner since it doesn’t match the placement In the video I seen posted. It’s holding up now but dont want no issues down the road with it and I can also get to it with everything back assembled jus tight to get my wrench in. I can loosen the nut to the tensioner and adjust where it goes and move it back and forth 5 times before I tighten it on the guide lines shown in the video. That could be the little click I’m getting when I accelerate coming for the timing belt area due to it not being in the right position. I’m really hoping this serpentine tensioner fixes the issue because I’m dying to get this car back on The right path like it was before it broke down or like it was on The way to work after fixing it that 1 day. I had one solid trip on it to work and then noticed the new chirp issue on my way home. I did notice that my battery light was coming on that day also when the issue happened due to the belt slipping due to the chirp issue I believe. I know the issue isn’t in the alternator and pretty sure now the new one I put in was a waste but already have it on so jus gonna leave it. The belt was my true first guess due to the mileage on the car but same issue after the install of it. I honestly think it got worse after installing the eBay serpentine tensioner but can’t prove it 100% jus know it moves more than ever now. The old one didn’t even move this much but I could make the old one move jus a little by hand and the belt didn’t feel as tight as it should of been to me. I know I have said all this in previous messages jus trying to keep explaining the whole process for trouble shooting.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
The only thing i can think of is a common mistake folks make when replacing the timing belt is they install this little clip backwards and the serpentine belt rubs against the crank pulley cover down below. check that.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’ll check that when I go to install new serpentine tensioner but pretty sure it’s correct. I jus get a chirp on acceleration and hitting the brakes. Only in the beginning on the process. Once I’m into the brake or accelerator it stops and only seems to happen on acceleration in lower gears like 1st to the 3rd. Jus recently noticed it when turning the other day. It’s a small annoying chirp

·
Registered
563 Posts
By chance did the tensioner off ebay come from a seller named prothe? Change the serpentine tensioner and you should be fine on that front.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found a big issue tearing it back down. My timing tensioner jus clicks when I set it on the set marks and applies no tension to the belt. I believe the way it was installed incorrectly has damaged it. Every time I try to set the tensioner on the marks it jus makes clicking noises and the rear arm moves about a quarter inch. Every time I back off of it it jumps back to where it was. I have set it 5 times now and go to turn the cam shaft and I completely come off the mark and the belt is loose. It’s under a life time warranty so I will go ahead and replace the timing tensioner and see if I have the same issues. Still haven’t tried new serpentine tensioner but could the timing tensioner being in incorrectly cause any issues with that??

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
Good catch, on the timing belt tensioner; i had a feeling, something was wrong. You definitely, need to get that handled, make sure the parts are not damaged, installed and adjusted correctly (you can lose, damage the timing belt; bend the valves in the head, requiring a rebuilt or replacement cylinder head).

The serpentine accessory and timing belts are independent of one another; requiring, separate diagnosis, troubleshooting, possible repairs. it may be a case for you have two separate problems and need to fix both areas, to make everything right.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’m redoing the whole timing belt and tensioner. Only thing I’m leaving is water pump. I’ve only put 60 miles in this car since I did the timing belt before. No issues with it so gonna leave it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts