NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought a 2002 Beatle, 2L Automatic with 158K miles. I really like the car alot but I notice sometimes there is a 4-12 second delay before she engages in reverse. I'm taking her in to "top off" the transmission fluid this weekend. It sounds like not everyone has much luck after a full fluid change, any thoughts on the matter?

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
First of all- welcome to the org:wave2:

Yeah, the auto trans is a dicey little thing. VW's claim of having "lifetime fluid" isn't all that it was claimed to be. Some schools of thought say to leave the fluid in it after such a long period of time- something of the effect of keeping the friction particles that's in the 100,00+ mile fluid. Others say to change the fluid and filter and start anew. Myself, I changed the fluid and filter. She's doing fine.... so far. I eventually would like to get another tranny or do a 5 speed swap.

So from my school of thought, I'd say change the fluid and filter. She's got a lot of miles on the clock, so I don't think you'll go wrong with the change.

Another note of interest.... do you know if your beetle has had it's timing belt/water pump/tensioner/pulley changed? If not, get it done right away.

i am no certified mechanic and take no responsibility for any subsequent results for your work from my advice:D

All the best Chris.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts