NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
00 1.8t is having chugging issues. Previously at 60-80 it would lose power and surge intermittently. Unplugged MAF that issue seemed to go away. Drove it around a couple days unplugged waiting for my MAF to get here (it just did) and my car leaves me stranded. It would turn over (with some heavy petting)but then have some odd idling rough issues. and if you try to drive its like the pedal does nothing at full throttle you'd barely inch along. (new maf improved nothing, although with initial unplugging of old MAF it stopped, with a power decrease noted)

Any suggestions or troubleshooting tips?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Have you scanned the car for codes?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to wait for a scanner to be brought to me at this point :( Once I get it scanned (who knows when) I'll put up the codes if I haven't figured it out.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Pull the spark plugs and see how they look. Go to Autozone and have them scan for codes. Let them give you the codes and not just their diagnosis since what they think is wrong and what actually is wrong are usually two different things.

Could be a whole slew of things. Dirty throtlebody, vacuum leak. Bad Diverter Valve, Bad coils, fouled spark plugs, O2 Sensors, Bad Cat etc, etc. Without codes and a starting point you can get into the poor house replacing parts and still not find the actual cause.

Keep us posted and do get your car scanned.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P1426 tank vent. valve open circuit
P1432 secondary air infection valve open
P0343 cam shaft pos sensor A circuit high input bank 1 or single sensor
P0237 turbo boost sensor A circuit low
P1592 baro/MAP sensor ratio not plausible
P1296 engine cooling system malf. (previously known)
P1639 TP sensor faulty
P1633 accelerator pos. signal too low

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
found something to do with the SAI unplugged, plugged it back in, cleared codes, ran it and reread the codes:

P1426
P0343
P0237
P1592
others didn't reappear.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AHA! found out a plastic piece in the camshaft position sensor was broken and the wires were exposed and knocking around. Electrical tape and it's running fine.
It still had the P0237 code (which went away and hasn't returned) and now the P1426 tank vent. valve open circuit. It still on, but the beetle is running and well. No idling or unresponsive gas pedal (that wasn't previously noted)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts