NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Automatic NB that is having intermitent troubles getting into second gear. It will from time to time chug almost like wiplash into the second gear. I have taken it into the dealer about 5 times but of course they can never seem to duplicate the problem. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and had any suggestions or could offer any solutions they had come up with. It is getting really annoying that it can't get fixed. Please help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem!! I drive a 2001 turbo auto (63,000kms, 4 yrs old). The car slides up to over 3000 rpm at the top range of 1st gear before 'slamming' into second. I can avoid the jerk by taking my foot off the gas just before the gear change, but not happy!

I bought the car 2nd hand, it had a new transmission at 30,000kms - was making a strange noise. This lasted only 26,000kms until the problem above began. It now turns out that VW replaced the transmission with a rebuilt tranny rather than a NEW one when it was replaced under manufacturer's warranty. Not happy. VW won't help me as the warranty for that part lies with the transmission people they contract out to. They are going to fix it for free as long as it is a 'manufactures defect failure'. HRRRM.

They can't tell me what the problem is without stripping the transmission of course, so hopefully something easily fixed :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same here

I also have a similar problem here. Mine does it every once in a while but when it does, the trany shifts up to second gear and waits up to 3-4 thousand RPM before it shifts to 3rd. And when it does, it stays 3rd and won't shift to 4th. I would notice the problem when it starts if the trany downshifts hard when decelerating particularly to 2nd gear. As per my mechanic brother, it could be the throttle positioning. If not, there was a bullitin report from VW that a resistor has to be placed somewhere (I did not understand). What I do is park and turn the engine off. Start it again and go.

·
Old Dog
30 Posts
I have a random hard shift when going from 2nd to 3rd at about 25 mph in my 2003. I don't have any other problems with it though. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I test drove a used '01 auto TDI a few months ago and it had the same problem. It'd wait a little too long from 1st to 2nd, WAY too long on 2nd then flew through 3rd to 4th. The seller of course had no idea there was a problem. She bought it 5 months before (CPO) for about $4,000 more then Blue Book...poor poor thing...

·
Registered
17 Posts
This problem sounds a little familiar to my beetle too. But I noticed it only happens in the morning after the cold start. From 1st to 2nd, rpm is about 2500- everything seems fine, 2nd to 3rd it has to go up to 3000 and then jerk into 3rd. After the ATF change and the suggestion of resetting it (engine off, ignition on, step on gas pedal for 5 seconds, ignition off, wait 1-2 minutes and start engine), everything does not change so much, except for that from 2nd to 3rd rpm goes to 3000, rev up 3200-3000 and then jerk to 3rd. After 5-10 minutes driving, this would go away and the tranny shifts very smoothly (2nd to 3rd at about 2700rpm) Is this a problem or am I being paranoid?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts