NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the front of my car, inside i was told they are 3 cigarette lighter holders, too small at all for a cup, well they're gray and i'd like them black...would spray paint d the job or should i jsut buy a new set? one is cracked but still locks in place.
what can i do to make them look good, and black, or where do i go to buy some cheap sets?
thanks

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
Cigarette lighter holders?!? Do you by any chance mean power outlets? There are three.. one below the dash just to the right of center, one on the center console behind the parking brake and one at the left side inside the trunk area.

As far as repainting the cupholders.. sandpaper and some glossy black spray paint will go a long way toward making 'em look nice.

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tahnsk

i meant the cup holders, i read somewehre they were for the cigarettes, like ash tray things. idk. well thanks i'll look into doing that!

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
what do these cup holders look like?

I'm trying to figure out what's up with the cupholders on our new '06 TDi. Perhaps you can help?

Under the instrument panel, there's a shallow tray with a power outlet. It has a rubber mat in it, and the rubber mat has two circular "pop outs". Under the mat, there are slots that look like you could lock something circular there and knock out the circles in the mat to go around them.

Is that what you're talking about? I would like to get some, since the cup holders between the seats foul the armrest. I just need to know what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think so. the "ashtrays" they dont look like ashtrays, you can remove the little cups from the 3 ash trays and my middle section is broke now..a button spring is missing, the armrest lid wont stay shut now. i dont know what happened to the button! i enver thru it out of my car and its gone! well, i know its not much to replace it. i wish i could customize my car inside that middle area myself, tho i have no money to do so. (college)

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
center counsole...there is spots for cupholders or ash trays or pretty much anything that will fit into those spots

if you find them in black and want to sell the gray ones please pm me! i have one of those cups(out of what? 4? :( ) and its seen better days

good luck in your search

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
crazi_daisy said:
would spray paint d the job or should i jsut buy a new set?
Are you talking about the optional ashtrays themselves? Or the cupholders that they sit in? The ashtrays are actually OEM parts, but they don't usually come with the car... you buy them separately. Without the ashtrays in there, the round holes they sit in just function (marginally) as cupholders. If you have three ashtrays, it means that the previous owner of your car got so tired of the poor design of the cupholders that they just bought three ashtrays to turn something useless into something somewhat more useful.

If you're talking about the ashtrays, you can buy them at the dealer... but I'm pretty sure they only come in one color... silver chrome (there may be a billet version, but, still... silver).

If you're talking about the cupholders... you'd have to figure out how to remove them from the car in order to replace/paint them. But, yeah, I think there are black ones floating around that went with the black interiors. But if you're going to do that, you'd probably want to replace the whole center console... otherwise it might look a little silly just having black cup holders.

At any rate... would paint work? It depends on what you're going to use 'em for. If you're thinking you're going to be throwing your keys and your change into 'em, then you're probably going to be disappointed in 6 months as your paint is chipping and scratching. If you're going to gently place your cell phone in 'em, then, yeah, paint would probably hold up just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts