VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out how to replace the batteries in the little cigarette lighter flashlight - 7L6 947-175A. I literally had to destroy mine (dead batteries) to fine the secret method to get it apart. So here it is.

Look at the pictures closely to see how it functions. The large chrome cylinder just has to slide all the way back towards the end of the light, next to the bottom button. I expect this will take a little prying. This exposes the two contacts that are spring loaded. There is a very small brass contact inserted into the end of the spring, one each side, don't lose these - spring loaded.

Now here comes the trick that I couldn't explore because I destroyed the chrome cylinder by cutting it in half and cut the top out of the outer shell. :rolleyes: The batt/bulb assembly has to be extracted from the outer shell by allowing the little tab (where the spring exists) to pass under the rim of the plastic shell. This I couldn't do for above reason. This is where you volks-folks need to complete the procedure. You will notice two small indentions on the inside of the outer shell. This is where the batt/bulb assy. is keyed to reinsert the batt/bulb assy.

The light use four (4) V20HR batteries ($5 ea ebay) that are easily removed and inserted. This seems a little pricy.

Let me know how it goes if any one tries it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did see a listing for a 6-pack cell that could be disassembled to get the four batteries needed. However, I also see listed a similar flashlight for less than $10, a non-VW China. That's probably what I'll do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts