NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
First Car! Emil!
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently I was using A/C to defog my windows and I noticed there was water dripping in my passenger footwell. I'm 99% sure it's the A/C condenser clogged up and dripping water into my car because I rarely use the A/C and when I do this problem arises.

Does anybody know how to clean the tubes?

Thanks.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
If it were me I would remove the ducting, because you might be growing mildew and that needs to be cleaned or it will clog again.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
It is actually your AC evaporator housing you want to clean. The condenser is in front of the radiator.

Not sure how to clean the Evap box, usually there is a tube that drains under the car.

But also make sure you do not have a water leak from the cowl area, these cars are FAMOUS for cowl water leaks.

Also you should change the cabin air filter. I never knew these cars had one. Probably the most challenging cabin air filter to change. Not hard, just a lot of busy work and you need a few proper tools.

Search YouTube for cabin air filter replacement, there are a few decent videos out there. Again, not hard, just a bit time consuming.

I would bet that at least 70% of the New Beetles out there still have the original cabin air filter installed!

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
It is actually your AC evaporator housing you want to clean. The condenser is in front of the radiator.

Not sure how to clean the Evap box, usually there is a tube that drains under the car.

But also make sure you do not have a water leak from the cowl area, these cars are FAMOUS for cowl water leaks.

Also you should change the cabin air filter. I never knew these cars had one. Probably the most challenging cabin air filter to change. Not hard, just a lot of busy work and you need a few proper tools.

Search YouTube for cabin air filter replacement, there are a few decent videos out there. Again, not hard, just a bit time consuming.

I would bet that at least 70% of the New Beetles out there still have the original cabin air filter installed!
I'll be cleaning under the cowl myself, on the driver's side this time, over the weekend; however, in reading your post here that the A/C condenser is in front of the radiator, it's not possible is it that this could cause water to leak inside the cabin? Would it be the A/C compressor instead? The compressor is located against the firewall, right? :confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts