NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I just bought a used bug and it looks like a coke can or something exploded and got on the headliner. Any ideas how to safely clean the headliner?

·
Registered
70 Posts
what about simple green?? I used into to clean within my engine and as well as inside. My headliner is way tooo gone to even try to clean it, the past owner left cigarette marks and crazy stains.

·
Blue Flame is the Hottest
466 Posts
When I was reading the other thread I found, someone suggested all purpose cleaner and the first thing that came into my head was simple green. That stuff is awesome. The only other thing I thought of was an oxy clean mixture, because that stuff is also awesome.

I'm going to try to clean it this weekend. I will post my experiences.

:)

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
I use Blue Coral Upholstry cleaner.

But if it has set in like a coke stain or something I don't know of any product that will help you out.

When we had our accident in Marvin we were drinking chocolate shakes and they ended up all over the headliner...it was probably about 12 hours after the accident that I was able to gain access to the car at the body shop to clean the headliner.
I was able to completely clean it with the Blue Coral.
Had I waited longer, I don't know if it would do as good of a job.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have some stuff came with my lancer simply called Interior cleaner. I would have to go clean out the shed and dig out my detail stuff to see who makes it. But it takes smudges and dirt and any kind of stains out of my car anywhere on the inside without any scrubing practically

·
VW Crazy
93 Posts
I have cleaned several headliners with veyr aged stains on them very easily. I use a little green machine. You can buy them at Wal-mart or any store like that. This little machine works great! Because it is a wet vac and drying system. I use cleaner that is recommended for the little green machine. I spray it on, and then suck it dry. If its really dirty, it takes two or three aplications, but I have successfully cleaned every headliner using this method.

One note to consider. If yo uare using this method, you must clean the entire headliner. I tried to clean just the dirty section once, and there was a clear line between the cleaned and un-cleaned section. I then re-cleaned the entire headliner and everything looked great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've used Oxy Clean successfully several times. The trick seemed to be to spray it on.. let it sit a minute or two and blot it out.

I've used it on my old Montero Sport to clean the "Cigarette Mess" left behind from a previous owner. Just tried the same trick on my NB yesterday.

Works great!

·
Registered
8 Posts
beige headliner w/ black mold stains

Thinking about replacing it completely. If I don't want just generic "headliner fabric", what type (material composition) should I use? Also, any suggestions on adhesives?

Thanks crew :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the UK, there is a product called Milton Sterilising fluid. It is used to sterilise milk bottles for babies (sippy cups?).
I had a VW T3 Camper (Vanagon) in the UK, and that had mildew on the roof (which is similar to the beetle headliner).
If you mix it 1 part to 20 parts cold water, you can lightly scrub the headliner with a nail brush (or toothbrush for the hard to reach areas).
It really does do an AMAZING job.
Is there anything similar in Walmart - it really is worth a try!

·
Bugabu
62 Posts
I use Grease Lightning which you can buy at Home Depot. Its a clear cleaner. I used it on a SL 500 I had a couple of years ago and the stain came off using a finger nail brush which has very flexible bristles.Then use a paper towel to soak up as much of the soap as possible.

·
Bugabu
62 Posts
Thinking about replacing it completely. If I don't want just generic "headliner fabric", what type (material composition) should I use? Also, any suggestions on adhesives?

Thanks crew :)
Only use 3-M interior adhesives,they cost a little more but a really nice product. I installed a contemporary headliner in one my old Ramblers and after 10 years its still holding up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts