NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Beware-Blonde with Beetle
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in East Tennessee, we get our version of snow....which is really nothing more than a couple of inches a few times of the year. But because our area is not equipped to handle snow (i.e. we don't have many plows, people don't have snow shovels/blowers, etc) the mention of snow causes panic. The city and county will spray a special chemical on the roads if snow is called for - and this chemical melts the snow as it lays on the roads.

Nonetheless - this will be my first winter with my NB (Jolene). With my other car, I would run it through a 'touchless car wash' during the winter months JUST to get the underside washed off. But I'm scared to run Jolene through one of those washes (because I'll just die if she gets a scratch).

So how do you guys/gals keep the underside clean of all the salt/chemicals during the winter months? Do you run your NB's through the wash, or do you do it yourself? And if you do it yourself, how do you do it?

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Do-it-yourself car washes, any time the temp warms to 30° after the chemicals have been put down. Pressure wash - wheel wells, undercarriage, etc, etc, just a good rinsing and flushing of everything.

Touchless, etc car washes don't necessarily get the undercarriage.

·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do-it-yourself car washes, any time the temp warms to 30° after the chemicals have been put down. Pressure wash - wheel wells, undercarriage, etc, etc, just a good rinsing and flushing of everything.

Touchless, etc car washes don't necessarily get the undercarriage.
M- I have a pressure washer so I can totally do this. Do you just (for lack of better terms here) point the pressure washer under the car and give it a good rinse, kinda working your way around the car? I don't run the risk of messing anything up, do I? LOL! :p

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
M- I have a pressure washer so I can totally do this. Do you just (for lack of better terms here) point the pressure washer under the car and give it a good rinse, kinda working your way around the car? I don't run the risk of messing anything up, do I? LOL! :p
I have always cleaned my car's chassis this way, growing up in the North and dealing with salt. Never had a problem, but I will qualify that, not knowing what type of pressure washer you have. The idea is a good flushing of everything not a "spit shine"!

·
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have always cleaned my car's chassis this way, growing up in the North and dealing with salt. Never had a problem, but I will qualify that, not knowing what type of pressure washer you have. The idea is a good flushing of everything not a "spit shine"!
Lol- got it! Personally I hope we don't get any snow-but if the weather person mentions the S word it's pandemonium around here. Lol!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Pay special attention to your wheels if you have alloys on.

As that chemical will eat at your alloy.

Lot's of Buggers this side of the pond have Winter Wheels. Old steel ones.

They dump the roads with everything over here and never had an underside problem due to it :) VW < Solid stuff under there :D

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts