NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on how to clean the inside part of the boot? Mine is covered in grease somehow. I put it on not knowing when we first got the car and it made the top filthy. I've sinced cleaned and treated the top with Raggtopp but, now I need to get this boot clean. Thanks

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
Try some Simple Green sprayed on the area. Let is set a few minutes then scrub lightly with a soft bristle brush, rinse and let dry.
That should clean it up pretty well.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
I supect the grease is from the top mechanism and got on the boot when it as put on.

I would turn the boot inside out and use a mild detergent to clean the grease after removing as much as possible if its a big glob. Wipe towards the glob as to not spread it, Also wash towards the center of the spot to limit the spreading of he grease. You don't want a bigger mess than when you started.

A top guy or the dealer may have a secret to removing the grease. Yours is not the first boot to get grease on it from the mechanism.

Good luck,

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try some Simple Green sprayed on the area. Let is set a few minutes then scrub lightly with a soft bristle brush, rinse and let dry.
That should clean it up pretty well.
I'll give it a shot, I bought simple green and purple power. I think the boot must just got layed around in previous owners garage or something.
Hey, we're practically neighbors. Any chance you've tried the free trail Revo tune? I see Keefer VW is a Revo tuner in this area but, I've not been there before

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The inside of our boot seems to be made of disintegrating foam, which gets all over our top. :mad:
BINGO!! That's what it is! I thought it was grease because it was black and mushy but, after really looking close, it must be a black foam underneath the white liner and i"s like it has melted or something. It's a really fine foam so it smears sort a. I'm thinkin now, that I'll just cut that liner out and get the rest of the foam out and go from there

·
Registered
43 Posts
BINGO!! That's what it is! I thought it was grease because it was black and mushy but, after really looking close, it must be a black foam underneath the white liner and i"s like it has melted or something. It's a really fine foam so it smears sort a. I'm thinkin now, that I'll just cut that liner out and get the rest of the foam out and go from there
Eister,
SO, I'm curious what you found to either clean, repair or remove the smearing foam/grease as my boot cover is also doing this same exact thing.
TIA!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
VW recommends 303 products; you might give their clean kit a try:

303 Fabric Guard & Convertible Top Cleaner Kit

Part Number: EXD30520

Top Cleaner (16oz Spray Bottle) Helps adds years of life to convertible tops while protecting against soiling and staining. Fabric Guard (16oz Spray Bottle) helps restores oil and water repellency and is fast cleaning to help remove stubborn stains.

Fits Beetle Convertible (2003 - 2019)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Eister,
SO, I'm curious what you found to either clean, repair or remove the smearing foam/grease as my boot cover is also doing this same exact thing.
TIA!
I removed the white cloth to expose the foam and used ammonia and hot water...be sure to do this outside as that foam really turns into a nasty greasy mess.

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,406 Posts
BigJon,
i've stored my boot cover indoors for years to try and avoid the liner issue. Last Sunday, the liner of decided to disintegrate, and left a sticky, gooey black mess on the tan top & my hands. thanks for the tip!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts