NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this has been asked before or not, but I'm looking for a few good tips on how to really get the best clean out of my wheels. Up to now I've tried cleaning them with a regular car sponge (I use a separate sponge for wheels and body) and I had also bought a special wheel cleaning sponge that came on a handle, but it didn't last long and quickly came off the handle. Now, while the sponges do a great job of cleaning off the wheels, they can't quite fit into the little crevices where the spokes end, and I always end up with a little bit of filth in there. Not much, but just enough to sometimes bother me. I'm considering using a toothbrush, but I'm not sure how it'll turn out. So yeah, if anyone has any good ideas, I'm all ears.

Also I included a picture of what my wheels look like so you can get an idea of what I'm dealing with. Its not the best, but I hope it helps.

Attachments

·
5/23/10 <3
11,009 Posts
I had a set of BBS knock-offs on my GTI when I got it and they had a lot of spokes and a lot of tiny places where brake dust would accumulate. I used a round sponge the majority of the time (one that you would use for wax, but it was all sponge, no fabric on it). I could usually get it into most of the tight spots. I tried a toothbrush once but it still was a pain.

On my wheels now (OEM Aristos. Much improved from knock-offs!), they still have a lot of spokes but not as many tight spots. I use a brush on a handle to clean my wheels and it works really really well. Gets into all the corners and such. And it has a hole in the middle so I can get around the valve stem well too. Its basically this:

I had the Aristos refinished before I bought them and I haven't noticed any problems with the brush on the paint. I use the Turtle Wax wheel and tire cleaner too. Let it sit for a minute or so before I go at the wheels. I get a ton of brake dust on my wheels very quickly. So unless I wash my car once a week, I usually have to go over my front wheels twice with the brush to get everything. But its pretty quick with the brush I use.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh sweet, that brush actually looks like it could get the job done better than all the past methods I've used up to now. Guess I'm going to go hunt down one of those brushes as well as try out the Turtle Wax product you named. Lets hope it works out better because up to now it just hasn't been a completely satisfying clean. Which I need to do as close to perfect as possible since I plan on doing a bit of paint work on my wheels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had good results with the brush above or the Meguiars Ultra-Safe Wheel Spoke Brush.

For the detergent I recommend Sonax Xtreme Wheel cleaner PLUS or TUGA Wheel Devil and, if you can get it, Iron-X, Dragon Breath or so.
Both products are easy to use and tackle even the hardest brake dust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts