NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
marvins_dad said:
Great How-To!!!

Thanks manoverboard987! :goodjob:

You're very welcome. Just doin my part to add to the org's wealth of knowledge.

GGKauten said:
Did you get that from eBay? I am just wondering because I was thinking about getting this for my NB but after seeing how chinsy the light looks on the back side (raw circuit board chillin across the bulb backings) I might reconsider.
Yes, it came from eBay. Here's the link. Over the 3 weeks between recieving it and installing it, it's been shipped twice, gone on a 250 mile road trip, been dropped thrice, and had calculus books fall on it. Conclusion: It's a pretty tough little light, bare circuit board or not. Plus, you can always put a coating or even electrical tape over the back if you're worried about it. Personally, looking at how clean and un-leaky my turunk lid had been (under there is some of the brightest paint you'll ever see), I had no problem leaving the circuit board exposed.

Asurroca said:
Same here. I want one of these

Great how-to, by the way. I'll have to refer to it when I get my hands on a set of these clear brake lights.
Just follow the link. And thanks for the props. :wave3:

·
Buggin Out
67 Posts
Did you happen to look at how the lense connects to the body of the piece? I like the overall visual effect the piece offers however am not a personal fan of the Euro effect clear. I wanted to seperate the lense from body, spray frost it, and then replace the lense.

Most of the time aftermarket lenses are bonded with a high heat "mush" that if you heat up can seperate the lense then heat it up again and re-seal the lense to the piece.

I was just wondering if maybe you knew because I am really anxious to get this piece, but only if I can work it to my needs.

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
GGKauten said:
Did you happen to look at how the lense connects to the body of the piece? I like the overall visual effect the piece offers however am not a personal fan of the Euro effect clear. I wanted to seperate the lense from body, spray frost it, and then replace the lense.

Most of the time aftermarket lenses are bonded with a high heat "mush" that if you heat up can seperate the lense then heat it up again and re-seal the lense to the piece.

I was just wondering if maybe you knew because I am really anxious to get this piece, but only if I can work it to my needs.
I'm sorry but i don't know the answer to that question. The lip where it would separate is covered by the black rubber gasket which is glued in place, so i couldn't see what was goin on under there for fear of breaking the water-tight seal.

Sorry I couldn't help u there. :dunno:

·
Banned
3,877 Posts
Please change your directions and tell people after they remove the two screws in the hand holes that you should start to remove the panel from the latch end not the window end. I followed your directions and ended up breaking my panel in two places!! after removal it was clearly evident that starting from the latch end the panel would come straight down where the end by the window has to go down and forward at the same time for safe removal. while trying to yank down at the window the pegs which went in at an angle broke off because the panel has to move down and forward at the same time for proper removal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
another problem here, I took off my 3rd brake light and smoked it with niteshades, and I couldn't get the darn gasket to go back into place afterwards, it was shot/rotted out. What can I do? I guess I have to silicone it back in place.

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
dragonplayboy said:
another problem here, I took off my 3rd brake light and smoked it with niteshades, and I couldn't get the darn gasket to go back into place afterwards, it was shot/rotted out. What can I do? I guess I have to silicone it back in place.
i'd check the dealership to make sure they dont sell just a replacement gasket before going as dramatic as siliconing it on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts