NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Want to do a drive.
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is this click or Clunk I hear almost every morning when I'm warming up my car. It will happen just before it does it's kick down to 800rpm around 90 temp. Sometimes it will do the kick down smooth other times the noise. Any ideas on what it could be?

·
Want to do a drive.
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SAI pump?
Not sure, but I heard a golf with a bad sai and it's nothing like this. Maybe his was really bad, but his made a horrible air release sound

·
Registered
937 Posts
A broken or leaking pump would make an air release sound, but there are valves related to the pump that could go bad and possibly make the noise you are talking about. I just thought of the SAI first as you say it makes the sound as the RPMs drop which is about the time the SAI valves are "doing their thing" for lack of a better term. I'm not a professional so I could be WAAYY off:confused:

·
Want to do a drive.
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A broken or leaking pump would make an air release sound, but there are valves related to the pump that could go bad and possibly make the noise you are talking about. I just thought of the SAI first as you say it makes the sound as the RPMs drop which is about the time the SAI valves are "doing their thing" for lack of a better term. I'm not a professional so I could be WAAYY off:confused:
Hasn't done it in a few days now, when I listen for it, it doesn't do it. Grrr.

·
Want to do a drive.
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is more of a metal to metal sound that an air release.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Do you figure out where the sound comes from? I've had this metal to metal griding sound coming from passenger side when sitting in the car. I had replaced the alternator, AC compressor, and the serpentine belt was checked alright. I was told it could be the wheel bearing from the power steering pump is failing. Any ideas? By the way, this only happens when the car is idling.

·
Want to do a drive.
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not yet I'm going to take it in next week when ever I can make an appointment.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Have you heard of Mouse Meat Inc in Tacoma, WA? I used to take my car there when lived in WA. Those guys are great. You may want to check it out.

·
Want to do a drive.
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you heard of Mouse Meat Inc in Tacoma, WA? I used to take my car there when lived in WA. Those guys are great. You may want to check it out.
Yea I've heard of them but, Tacoma is 30 miles south of me. :(

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ouch! Well, let me know once your TBS gets checked on at the shop. (I've taken mine to both independent shop and the dealership, none of them figured out what's really causing the noise, they just kinda concluded it might be the PSP after I replaced everything else that's driven by the serpentine belt.)

·
Want to do a drive.
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is definitely coming from the wheel area & always from a stop. I think it's the bearing but it does sound like a CV, but doesn't always make the noise. (Not when corning either) Someone said it might be the caliper that is clicking. Now I need to find a shop close to work that is not too expensive. That is a tall order because being so close to Microsoft they think everyone is rich. :(

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hmm... mine is coming from the passenger side (I can only hear it inside the car), the guy at the shop atucally opened the glove compartment to listen to it. He thought it was the bearings but nope. I replaced my CV not long ago, I don't think it's failing. Also, mine acts up daily when car is idling. I may replace my PSP in a month or two to see if it actually fixed the problem, if not, then I'm running out of ideas and of course, lots of greens lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts