NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all!

I am hearing a clicking noise (actually sounds when kids attach a playing card to their bikes so the card hits the tire spokes) and the sound speeds up and gets louder when I accelerate (through any gear)reduces when I let off the gas and continues when at idle.

This started last night, in 30 degree rainy weather, when I was pushing in the clutch and my foot slipped off the pedal (dumping the clutch and violently killing the engine). I started my car back up and that is when the noise started. It is coming from the right side and at first had a high pitch squeal, but my car is running fine with no warning lights, etc. I checked the oil (ok) and the sound does seem to be coming from the whole timing belt area (I had a new one put in when the impellar in my water pump broke about 2000 miles ago)not the engine itself. I would hope dumping the clutch wouldn't cause any problem, but with my car, anything is possible. I am inclined to think it's a fan or a belt, but any opinions would be appreciated because I don't want to do any damage to my car. My car is a 2001 2.0 GLS.

PS-I jsut went and drove her around during lunch (it's about 40 degrees here) and the sound was there when I started her until I got into 3rd gear and anything above and it was gone. After the engine was completely warmed up, the sound disappeared completely?!

Thanks!
Terri

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi, i am having the same issu, exept that i am sure mine is related to the ac cmpressor and will not go away no matter what, unless i turn the ac of (not the fan just the ac) codes are clear, any ideas? i think my belt neads replacement but i cant imagine it beeing the cause
also my idle is very rough when the ac is on

·
Registered
13 Posts
sounds don't normally go away with a speed increase, the frequency is either increased or the sound is masked by road noise or something else. I would have said wheel bearing, but you said the sound was there when u weren't moving. So now I'm guessing and thinking it is a belt that is freyed and knocking up against part of the engine or the fan. Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a clicking noise, and finally figured out that it was coming from the CD player! I was playing a CD that I had burned on my computer. The CD player was having trouble reading the disk, and just kept clicking away! I had thought my engine was going to blow up. I was very relieved when I ejected the CD and the clicking stopped.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clicking / Ratcheting Noise from engine.

I also started hearing a ratcheting sound from the engine in my manual transmission 2000 1.8T. It is present whenever my foot is not on the clutch, even during idle. It disappears when i push the clutch even a little, but the brake and clutch pedals start shaking if I only push a tad.
In addition, it is difficult to put the car into a gear using the shifter unless the speed is just right (which means I can't pull up my hill of a driveway). Its at 95K mi., and is due for a new timing belt, so I'm taking the thing to a dealer.

·
363 Posts
Frobnitzem said:
I also started hearing a ratcheting sound from the engine in my manual transmission 2000 1.8T. It is present whenever my foot is not on the clutch, even during idle. It disappears when i push the clutch even a little, but the brake and clutch pedals start shaking if I only push a tad.
In addition, it is difficult to put the car into a gear using the shifter unless the speed is just right (which means I can't pull up my hill of a driveway). Its at 95K mi., and is due for a new timing belt, so I'm taking the thing to a dealer.
Sounds like you've broke or bent some pressure plate fingers which touch the release bearing every engine rotation - touch the clutch lightly and the pedal will pulsate as the release bearing touches on the uneven fingers but push harder and the rest of the fingers meet the release bearing and it stops pulsing - this also would prevent proper clutch release and difficult gear selection. A new pressure and clutch plate plus maybe the flywheel skimmed will probably be the outcome unfortunately.
Good Luck.

·
363 Posts
midnightluna said:
Hello all!

I am hearing a clicking noise (actually sounds when kids attach a playing card to their bikes so the card hits the tire spokes) and the sound speeds up and gets louder when I accelerate (through any gear)reduces when I let off the gas and continues when at idle.

This started last night, in 30 degree rainy weather, when I was pushing in the clutch and my foot slipped off the pedal (dumping the clutch and violently killing the engine). I started my car back up and that is when the noise started. It is coming from the right side and at first had a high pitch squeal, but my car is running fine with no warning lights, etc. I checked the oil (ok) and the sound does seem to be coming from the whole timing belt area (I had a new one put in when the impellar in my water pump broke about 2000 miles ago)not the engine itself. I would hope dumping the clutch wouldn't cause any problem, but with my car, anything is possible. I am inclined to think it's a fan or a belt, but any opinions would be appreciated because I don't want to do any damage to my car. My car is a 2001 2.0 GLS.

PS-I jsut went and drove her around during lunch (it's about 40 degrees here) and the sound was there when I started her until I got into 3rd gear and anything above and it was gone. After the engine was completely warmed up, the sound disappeared completely?!

Thanks!
Terri

Its possible you have broken one or more of the clutch driven plate springs - there ar 5 of them in the centre of the plate and they are supposed to soak up any sudden shocks....but they can break if overloaded and cause a tinkling/rattley sound. The sound can travel and appear to come from the other end of the engine in some engine types.
Good Luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts