VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have fixed just about everything. First started with all interior lights flashing and alarm going off. Locks not working. Guy changed out the computer. Worked for about 6 weeks. Battery dead and lights flashing again. He changed battery and something in drivers door. Been fine for 3 weeks. Today won't start. And now there is a clicking noise inside car on drivers side when I open door. It doesn't stop. Have had issues with fob not opening trunk. We have spent $2000 already to fix it. Any ideas. 2007 new beetle 125K miles. Thanks

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hey, have you scanned the car; for trouble codes? Get a VW specific scanner; so, you can read the VW specific codes, this will help you diagnose problems. Look on amazon; the VAS 450 is a cheap basic scanner/code reader (about $30) and the ross tech vcds, is the high end Volkswagen factory level scanner ($250-$350).
There are known electrical issues; with the door lock mechanisms failing on these cars. The fact that your alarm was going off, is a classic indication that it might be bad. I also, had a door unlock switch; start failing and it caused the doors to unlock by itself (up/down: going crazy)! The switch was broken and was activating the unlocking mode. Wiring issues; have also been a problem, where the wiring harness goes from the body into the door. This area; is flexed, every time the door opens/closes. After a number of years; these wires can break and cause intermittent electrical problems, causing switches to not work, etc..

Here are some troubleshooting/diagnosis tips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhUoxPdKkRw

here is a how to; to fix the door lock assembly (most people just replace it but this gives you idea, how it works and what fails):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5dtdyDDgrw

As you have experienced; things can get expensive quick on these cars. If you are willing to start fixing things yourself: it is time to get at the very least, a cheap VW scanner and ideally VCDS from Ross Tech. I have NEVER regretted buying VCDS and it has saved me, thousands of dollars in repairs and kept my car on the road. Get your car scanned; see what the trouble codes are (post them up here), have your charging system checked out for correct charging levels and you might also test for a parasitic draw on your battery. Check out the videos; for ideas about diagnosing the door lock and you might check out your wiring as well.

For the key fob: here is a list possible issues and how to program the fobs.

http://www.fixmyvw.com/vw-key-programming/#wireless

The rear trunk issue; maybe related to the wiring problems you are having. Some have had the motor have problems, wiring get corroded from leaking third brake light and the actuation rod being undone. Work through the door, wiring problems and it may fix the trunk as well.

If you have already spent $2000; I would take it back to the shop that did the work and have them complete the repairs. If you decide to fix it yourself; you have some investigating to do and need to invest in some VW scan tool equipment. Good luck and keep us informed, as your troubleshooting and diagnosis progresses!

Lets fix this thing! :cool:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts