NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Take us to your dealer!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just took my car to get one noise fixed (it was a belt!), and the next day, there's another!

Spacebug has a very quiet clicking/fluttering sound that we initially thought to be the broken plastic lid that fits over the battery case. Taking it off didn't change the noise, though, and it varies in pitch and volume.

It is most noticeable upon acceleration. The more the acceleration, the louder the clicking.

Any ideas on what it might be?

Also, the last time we were at the mechanic, he instructed us to get some power steering fluid, specifically for VW. We went to the shop he recommended, and they said that it didn't matter what kind we got, and tossed us a bottle seemingly at random.

Is there a specific kind we need? What's different about it, and what happens if we use the wrong kind?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
More info on the car...what engine and transmission? How many miles? What work was done on it?

Does the noise sound like its coming from the engine compartment? Can you get it to make the noise while revving the engine but parked?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I couldn't remember the year or engine of your bug, pls go to the User CP, to the left in the lower purple bar above, click, click again on edit your details, then scroll down and put in the info on your NB. That way when you ask something that may be year, model, or engine specific, we know, if you fail to tell us. ;)
Here, from the Bentley, all I could find, no spec on the PS fluid other than a Hydralic Oil and a VW p/n and "Do not use ATF fluid"

M.

Attachments

·
Take us to your dealer!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's a 2001 2.0 Gas-fueled automatic bug with 110k miles. The work we had done at the shop was replacing a belt, the brake discs, and a tensioner bearing.

We can't really tell where the noise is coming from.

What's a safe way to rev the engine while parked? Sorry, first car. :eek:

·
Take us to your dealer!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I feel pretty ignorant! What's a p/n, and what's ATF fluid?

The bottle we were handed is Prestone 'power steering fluid', which states that it is for use in 'most foreign cars'.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

The bottle we were handed is Prestone 'power steering fluid', which states that it is for use in 'most foreign cars'.
No, no, don't feel ignorant, I just do a lot of posting and tend to abbreviate with some pretty common abbreviations, common to the Forums anyway. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. p/n (part number), ATF (automatic transmission fluid - used by some car manufacturer's in their power steering units, more old skool than today)

Replied to your p/m (private message) and going to fetch that info now. I may give you a link or I may just post it up. (now that I know your car since you completed it in your User CP - lol)

I'm going to see if I can find a generic spec for the p/s (power steering) fluid, since the Bentley wasn't kind enough to give us anything but a p/n. I have 3 other manuals for reference, and I can check your Owner's Manual to see if it tells us.

M.

·
Take us to your dealer!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The boy checked the owner's manual and reported that it didn't say much beyond "Steering Fluid: Use it!", which seemed odd to me because of the vase-related admonishments in there. They seem like they want to cover all bases!

I will admit to not being interested in getting dressed and running out to the car to check :D

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Okay, you had a question in your p/m about your leather seats and the GLS v GLX thing. Hre's how you lear about your GLS features and options, since you learned/confirmed, via your VIN, yours is a GLS here -
VIN Cards, All Years -http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html#post744095

Click on this link (I have set it to link to the 2001, but anyone can change that by going to the address bar at the top, once there, and changing the model year in the address.
See 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Color Options - CarsDirect
This opens up the "Color" page, showing all available colors and interior colors for all trim levels.
In that page, click on the Specs file tab. In the sub-file tabs (different trim levels and engines), click the "Replace This Style" and then in the pop-up uncheck the checked model levels and select yours.
On the page that opens, you will see your trim level with your engine listed, and it's just a matter of opening each heading and reading what came standard and what you have that is an option. For you, and for everyone else to see what it looks like, here is a preview, with just the interior opened up, since that was what you specifically asked about. Go there to learn about all the other standard and optional features that came with or are on your GLS.

What this page tells you about your interior:
  • "Leatherette" (a high grade vinyl, old skool refered to as the trade name "Naugahyde") or leather seats, were both options. If your not sure, by now your seats , if leather, should be somewhat "polished" and unfortunately "checking". If leather "Lexol" cleaner and conditioner, sold at www.autogeek.net is the BEST there is for cleaning, re-conditioning and conditioning. The door panels, regardless of the seat materilal are ALWAYS vinyl, many think if they have leather seats they have leather door panels. No such thing.
  • Heated seats were available as an option
  • Adjustable headrests were standard, adjustable with tilt feature were optional
  • Carpeted floor mats (front and rear) came standard with the car, rubber were optional
  • There was a carbon fibre dash insert available
  • There was a choice of three gear shift knobs if standard shift, no one knob standard, but possibly all priced differently and had to be selected when the Dealer placed the order, or as was the case with many NBs, when the factory decided what they were going to build and shove down the Dealer's throat.
I wish you all the best with your new ride!

M (MORAV).

Attachments

·
Registered
950 Posts

DO NOT USE THAT!

I actually made this mistake myself, getting a bottle of the Prestone to top if off. Bad idea, luckily it was during cooler weather so the steering never got too hot. I don't think it would have survived summer driving.

The fluid you need is CHF11S, which the Prestone is almost certainly not. And as it says on the bottle of VW OEM fluid, mixing with non CHF11S is bad.

Go to your VW dealership and buy the power steering fluid there, the Prestone is not acceptable for the Beetle. Unless you're in a large city, I have a feeling the only place you can get fluid that is guaranteed to be the right stuff is from the VW dealership. It's expensive, but an exploded steering system from using the wrong fluid is even more expensive. I think that is what would happen if you add that and it gets really warm, the two fluids separate at different temperature/pressure and bad things happen.

Here's a DIY from TDI Club doing a full fluid flush, the gas and diesel use the same fluid and system, so this should work exactly the same on your car as it does on mine.

How To: A4 Power Steering Fluid Flush Procedure - TDIClub Forums

As it mentions in the DIY, when checking the power steering fluid, it should read MIN when the steering system (not the engine) is cold, and MAX when the steering system is warm. Take your car for a drive, find an empty parking lot and do some turns at slow speed for a few minutes, that will warm the system up quite a bit. Stop on a level surface, turn off the engine and check the fluid level. Unscrew the cap, wipe it off, screw it down fully, unscrew and check. The measurement must be done from a clean, fully screwed in cap.

If it really is low, then my suggestion would be to spend a little more and purchase a second 1L bottle and do a full flush of the fluid. I did a full flush this summer and it does make a difference you can feel.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
See above post!
And I'm going to second that. Thanks janitz! Typically if VW does not give a generic spec for a fluid, grease, lube, oil, etc, it is because there isn't one. Many generics that we would use in almost any other car, can and will do damage to whatever the system, in the VW. Always better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
950 Posts
When doing low speed turns is when you can notice the wrong fluid or having low fluid in the power steering. If you hear a creaking noise when you back out of a parking spot on a warm day, that is exactly what I heard when I had the wrong fluid, and then again after doing my flush this summer, I put in just enough to be at the minimum level with the system cold, tested it, it creaked a little, brought it back topped it off. And now my steering is really nice.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
What belt was replaced? The noise started after the belt replacement? Just make sure your car is on level ground and have the e-brake pulled up. Neutral would probably actually be a better gear for this. You just need to make sure the car won't move so it can't be in D or anything and need the e-brake pulled up. Then just press on the gas peddle and watch the revs. This can help figure out if its from the engine or maybe a suspension issue.

And yes, there is a specific fluid for the VWs. You can get it online from VW parts sites like germanautoparts.com, ecstuning.com, 1stparts.com...the list goes on. Not sure what the dealer runs on price for that, but you can check against online. Might be able to get it cheaper.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The power-steering fluid used by Volkswagen/Audi vehicles is a very specific mineral-based synthetic hydraulic fluid. It's Pentosin CHF-11S, which is the standard-fill hydraulic fluid for a number of European high-end industrial/construction equipment manufacturers. As a result of the use of Pentosin CHF-11S in industrial equipment, it's readily available at most NAPA auto-parts stores. Of course, our forum sponsors can also supply you with the Pentosin or the VW-packaged version. :D

·
Take us to your dealer!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spacebug Update:

Thank you guys so much for helping with finding the correct steering fluid! Went out and got that today, so that is done!

The clicking sound was pretty reminiscent of the sound my boyfriend's previous car made before the engine exploded on the interstate several years back, so he went ahead and took it to the shop :eek:

The mechanic there said that in addition to the power steering fluid being low, the oil was bad, too. We'd gone to JiffyLube less than 2500 miles ago, and they said they'd done the steering fluid and oil. He also found an allen wrench laying in there, and it wasn't one of his!

When all that was done, the clicking had gone away, so I'm hoping it was related.

I don't know what to think, but I'm a little afraid to let anyone near my car now. :eek13:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Spacebug Update:

Thank you guys so much for helping with finding the correct steering fluid! Went out and got that today, so that is done!

The clicking sound was pretty reminiscent of the sound my boyfriend's previous car made before the engine exploded on the interstate several years back, so he went ahead and took it to the shop :eek:

The mechanic there said that in addition to the power steering fluid being low, the oil was bad, too. We'd gone to JiffyLube less than 2500 miles ago, and they said they'd done the steering fluid and oil. He also found an allen wrench laying in there, and it wasn't one of his!

When all that was done, the clicking had gone away, so I'm hoping it was related.

I don't know what to think, but I'm a little afraid to let anyone near my car now. :eek13:
Bad oil? Doubtful

Low? Possibly, with the tapping, which could occur before you get an oil pressure light, but I would be surprised. Knowing how low it was would have been nice because this could indicate your oil pressure sensor is bad. If the valves were tapping from low oil there should have been a low oil pressure light. Ditto if there was an oil pick-up problem.

Wrong Grade and non VW spec? More than likely. And at Jiffy-Lube, probably Pennzoil. Garbage!

In the future. If your not doing it yourself, simply buy and take your own oil. They usually charge $20 to do a change with yours. And, I'm not going to get into a pissin' match here with ppl, but hear this. Castsrol Edge (syn) 5w40 or Mobil 1 0w40. Mobil 1 Filter (synthetic filtration material). Forget about where in the country you live or what time of year it is, regarding the 0w or 5w, both are VW spec. Most VW Dealers use the Castrol Edge. I prefer the Mobil 1. Although I am considering Amsoil at $10+ per qt wholesale. Whole recent thread about oils. 5k changes with the 1.8T and 10k mile changes with the 2.0L. Check your oil regularly, at least until you know what type of consumption you are experiencing. There were issues with early 2.0L AEGs that consumed a quart every 1k miles and the factory claimed it was normal. So just check it everytime you fill up for a while. I use a quart every 10k miles in my '05 2.0L.

M.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts