NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a USASpec PA11-VW iPod interface in my husband's '03 Beetle. That was hard enough but I got it done (car audio techs must have small hands; mine are beat to hell from digging around in the arm rest console). Now that it's playing, it sounds really good except for a rather loud, fast clicking sound coming out of the speakers when it's playing. I can't find anyone else mentioning this problem so I assume it's not normal for this interface.

It happens whether I control the tracks from the factory radio or from the ipod itself. I've messed with the ipod volume in every which way and that has no effect. At this point, it makes this option not much better than the old tape deck solution that sounds so crappy.

Anybody have any idea what might fix this?

·
Wazabi gone...
27 Posts
I just installed the PA-10VW in my '00; this was quite simply the easiest car audio install I've ever attempted.

My advice on the clicking is to find a better ground contact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, considering I've never done any more audio installing than it takes to stick a CD in a CD player, I'll try not to feel like a shmuck that I found it challenging. :cool:

What's a ground contact? Is that the U-shaped wire sticking off the side? I couldn't find in the instructions anything to do with that, so I just left it hanging out there. What should I be attaching it to? Or is the ground contact something else?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, figured out the ground thing, so I fixed that, but it didn't help the clicking. I just loosened one of the bolts that holds the console to the frame and tucked it up under that. Seems to be snug and secure and only touching metal.

Here's the only reference to that grounding wire that I've seen and I've looked everywhere for info on this. I guess they assume everyone knows these things (didn't plan on the handy, but inexperienced with wiring wife, did they?) These are great instructions for this task along with lots of other information. http://www.discountcarstereo.com/vw_ipod_installation.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts