NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just repaired by beetle due to a timing belt issue. A turbo engine is very expensive to fix if the belt breaks so recommend everyone get a new timing belt replaced every 80,000 miles. My little bug only had 83,313 miles when it broke. Prior to getting it repaired, number 4 of my blower fan went out. Blower controls off, 1, 2 and 3 were still working at that time. Within the last couple of weeks, I noticed that I can not turn the knob back to 1 or even off. Now my blower only works on 2 and 3. Has anyone else had this problem? :confused: Any suggestions are most welcome! Thanks!

·
2,646 Posts
I have just repaired by beetle due to a timing belt issue. A turbo engine is very expensive to fix if the belt breaks so recommend everyone get a new timing belt replaced every 80,000 miles. My little bug only had 83,313 miles when it broke. Prior to getting it repaired, number 4 of my blower fan went out. Blower controls off, 1, 2 and 3 were still working at that time. Within the last couple of weeks, I noticed that I can not turn the knob back to 1 or even off. Now my blower only works on 2 and 3. Has anyone else had this problem? :confused: Any suggestions are most welcome! Thanks!
On previous gen VWs there is a resistor pack on the fan motor itself that controls the power flow and therefore speed of the fan--normally when they go the top speed still works as it is 100% voltage and the other speeds go out as they can't run thru a failed resistor pack, but I'd still bet the problem is there. That's my 2 cents.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts