NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fire hazard defect on beetle climate control

Guys, i too have a 2002 VW Beetle 1.8 Turbo and that fan know thing is now jammed or stuck, idk but I went on the interweb and found out that if I force it to turn on the twist force broke something inside the climate control and he said it was just seconds before he saw smoke coming from behind the dash, inside the climate control. That's EXACTLY what happened to me, but thank god I had the knowledge of if it hurts your fingers, your doing it wrong.
So I just pulled my 25amp fan fuse just in case this bug decides to for what ever reason self combust in flames...
I don't want to drive it like it is but there hasn't been a recall on this defect as of yet!
How do I get VW to realize this is serious stuff here, I mean a full on inferno while driving...no frickin way!d

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2000 and my blower switch went bad too. I looked on line and saw it could be the metal piece came off the black wheele behind the middle blower knob. Took it all apart to find the metal had melted the black wheele! We were able to get it out and it wasn't melted enough that it was ruined. Just only have 2-4, no 1 or off. Needless to say, they did not fix this in the 2000 models. I'm lucky my dash didn't melt too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened to me today. A couple blocks from home (fortunately) my blower switch seemed to hang up a little. I wanted more air so twisted a little harder....only to get no air. So I twisted it the other way. No air. Parked the car at the house only to notice smoke started to billow out around the AC/recirculation switches. No problem.... I quick grabbed a socket/ratchet and disconnected the battery. The smoke didn't stop. It was about to start running away. In desperation...I grabbed some purple brand degreaser and a fire extinguisher...if flooding the switches with degreaser didn't slow down the smoke...fire extinguisher was next. The smoke stopped. Ordered a new replacement control unit from Rock Auto tonight. Bottom line, the person who warned....if your fan switch gets sticky...stop turning it.... was right. You could find yourself with a runaway dash/electrical fire real quick.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts