VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday when I got home I turned off the heater fan and immediately notice a burning smell. The switch did not offer any resistance but did not feel normal. I shut the car off and the smell soon went away. I checked the fuses with an ohm meter and all are good. Now I can turn the fan switch on and no fan. When I press the AC button the compressor cycles but no fan. Also, there are no lights in the climate control when I turn on my headlights. All worked good before this.

I am thinking the climate control assembly is fried but just wondering what thoughts anyone else has. Please feel free to jump in.

2005 GLS convertible 1.8

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
This is a known and common failure; you can have it rebuilt for about $60 or buy a used one, around the same price (look on ebay for a used part and the repair service).

You can get a new genuine vw part; for about $150 on amazon or less on ebay; I believe the new parts have a revised design, so that might be worth considering (especially, after reading the thread below!). :)

Volkswagen Part Number : 1C0-820-045-E-01C HEATER CONTROL

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...w-beetle/53350-climate-control-nightmare.html

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He guys,

Thanks for the input. I bought a new unit on eBay and will swap out the old one. Still trying to figure out why no blown fuses or why the lights no longer work.

I have had my dash apart a few times now so this will be easy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update to my issue with the climate control system. I swapped out the control unit and still no fan. So next option is to see if power to the fan. I pulled the glove box and found a wire that had been cut and spliced that was pinched and burned.
I bought this Beetle used and had a Carfax. The previous owner had work done to the A/C system. My guess is whoever did the work for some reason cut the wire and did a sloppy job of soldering it back together.
I cleaned up the wires and as soon as I touched the two ends together the fan started.
Looks like I now have a spare climate control unit........

I took a picture of the burned wire with my cell. Not the best picture but you can see where it burned...

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Not worried about the part. My son has a GTI with the same unit. Sooner or later one of us will need it....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts