VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
volks r cool
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 vert bug-I have a clinking/clunking noise coming from the drivers (left side) unit as it gets close to its opening /folding down postion...All seems to be folding correctly but tht clinking noise is wondersome...Is there a bearing or a arm or structure part tht could be failing or array?The whole assembly is like the inside of a swiss watch and god only knows how it all works in sync as a unit!
The sound seems to be coming from the lower part of the frame(left side) as it gets almost to the fully retracted postion....any ideas would be super...thnx in advance...Woody

·
Registered
762 Posts
Close the top up. Get into the back and locate the hydraulic rams for the top. They are fitted to brackets that are in turn bolted to the body of the vehicle. The brackets have three T-30 Torx bolts to secure them. I've seen said bolts come loose. When this happens, the bracket can shift and make a pop noise.

There are no "bearings" to speak of for the top. The top frame is stamped metal with holes, then a pins goes through the holes, plastic washers to help make things move smooth. I'd suggest to not put anything on them because that will only make dirt/grit stick to the plastic washer and grind on it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts