NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Smiling's my favorite
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I posted this on another board, but I thought I'd see if any other 'vert owners have had a similar experience as me.

When I picked up my car, less than 3 weeks ago, my salesman made a big point to tell me to use the VW sign to shut the trunk, because if I pressed down on either side of the trunk, it could dent since you have to use pretty heavy force to shut it properly. So, I've been diligently doing so. Well, yesterday, I realized that the VW is now dented! Needless to say, I'm very upset, since I've had the car less than 3 weeks, and I dented it doing something that was recommended to me by the salesman. I'm going to call him today and have words, but I just wanted to know if anyone else has run into this?

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
I have noticed a small indentation appearing around the VW logo on the trunk.

The key is to try and spread out the force required to close it as much as possible (well that and I suppose try and not use the trunk all that much.

However, I noticed Saturday that the trunk is getting easier to close after almost 2 years of ownership.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
The emblem will dent - it's just plastic. Mine did on my 'vert, and on my '03 (same emblem).

I swapped both out for the Euro-spec pieces and haven't had any denting issues. :)

-Des

·
Smiling's my favorite
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't even have a keyhole, so that's fine with me! Where did you get the one you replaced the original with?

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
U can get can get it from your VW dealer, ask for the '98-'01 rear badge. Of course you'll need the front one too so it'll match. I have ones from Japan that are heavy chrome, chk out my thread for resources (link is below)...

·
Smiling's my favorite
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Such a pretty car! I gotta see if I can find those badges. They look a million times better than what I have now.

Thanks!;)

·
'69 Bug, '79 Van, '05 Bug
11 Posts
Yup, mine too

My LOGO was also dented secondary to closing the truck. My bad. So, now I put pressure only along the lower edges where the steel is curled and welded; it is much stronger there and leads to no indentations. :D

Are the VW logos glued in place front and rear?

If so, then removal is done how?

I'd like to replace with some cool German insignia, and no not a swastika, but something like ... well like what? Ideas?

Doc

·
6,525 Posts
I pried up a bit of the edge with a flat head screw driver, cushioned on the bottom with a towel, then grabbed it with needle nose pliers and just peeled it off. The rear was a bit of a pain cuz the '04's have a key hole, so it's also attached at that point. U can push as hard as you want, i.e. slam it down hard, to close it now. Btw, I used an all purpose glue to attach the new badges...

·
Smiling's my favorite
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I just talked to my salesman. He says he's never heard of that happening before. He wants me to bring in the car to the servicepeople and he's going to see if he can get me something under warranty.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I Had The Same Problem

:thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave:

I was closing the trunk by pushing on the emblem, had to purchase new emblem which came with valet and two 1/2 keys. Replaced myself, now I use lower right corner of trunk lid to close. Still is very hard to close as it was when I first got NBC.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
JrsyGrl said:
Des, where did you get the Euro-spec pieces? Thanks!

I got mine from the dealer's parts department. They can order them.

The emblem comes off w/ a hair dryer and string. I've popped 5 of the badges off, I'm pretty good at it. :D

-Des

·
6,525 Posts
sb_beetle said:
There isn't a keyhole for the trunk? Are you sure that isn't the "dent" you are speaking of? There is an intentional indentation at the 6 o'clock position of the emblem to allow you to slide it back and reveal the key to manually open the trunk.
VW eliminated the key hole on the '05, so u just open the trunk with the remote or the door latch. The hair dryer idea is great, but it won't work as well on the '03 and '04 rear badge, you'll still have to rip it from the keyhole attachment. Btw, once you get the 3-D badge, closing the trunk is a breeze...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts