VW Beetle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Smiling's my favorite
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yeah, I definitely don't have a keyhole. God help me if I mistook a keyhole for a dent. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
sb_beetle said:
There isn't a keyhole for the trunk? Are you sure that isn't the "dent" you are speaking of? There is an intentional indentation at the 6 o'clock position of the emblem to allow you to slide it back and reveal the key to manually open the trunk.
That intentional indentation for the hidden keyhole was only on the 2003 NBCs as well as the earlier 2004's. They deleted the keyhole afterwards.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Billsbug said:
U can get can get it from your VW dealer, ask for the '98-'01 rear badge. Of course you'll need the front one too so it'll match. I have ones from Japan that are heavy chrome, chk out my thread for resources (link is below)...
Billsbug, can you elaborate a bit on this? So it sounds like you just end up covering the old keyhole over with the new badge. I've never used it, and it is so annoying to hear people tell me that I have a dent in the emblem. Say your trunk motor isn't working, God forbid! Is there a release cable somewhere inside? I can't remember, and I'm too lazy to go down to the garage to get my manual. I really like the looks of the 3-D emblems!

·
Registered
316 Posts
JrsyGrl said:
God help me if I mistook a keyhole for a dent. :)
Don't worry! Pretty much everyone does! If you look closely at the picture that KNEWBUG posted, the lower gray triangle of the emblem has an indentation for your finger to grab because you can actually SLIDE it to the right, and it reveals a hidden keyhole underneath the plastic triangle! That's how people mistake it for a dent, but since yours is a '05, you don't have the keyhole anyway. It was a good idea, but the design could have looked better. It would have been cool if they kept the early emblem that pivoted to the side to reveal a chrome latch and keyhole.

·
Smiling's my favorite
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
EVZBUG said:
Don't worry! Pretty much everyone does! If you look closely at the picture that KNEWBUG posted, the lower gray triangle of the emblem has an indentation for your finger to grab because you can actually SLIDE it to the right, and it reveals a hidden keyhole underneath the plastic triangle! That's how people mistake it for a dent, but since yours is a '05, you don't have the keyhole anyway. It was a good idea, but the design could have looked better. It would have been cool if they kept the early emblem that pivoted to the side to reveal a chrome latch and keyhole.
LOL, evzbug, I didn't actually mistake a dent for a keyhole. My Bug doesn't have a keyhole in the VW sign, it's just a plain old crappy plastic VW sign that dents easily!

·
Smiling's my favorite
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So, I finally brought my car to the dealer and had them look at the dented VW. They said they could order a new VW sign (same old crappy plastic) and it would cost me $39.50. I'm going to have to have another conversation with my sales guy.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Haven't had any denting problems with the Euro badge installed... ;)

-Des

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
JrsyGrl said:
Yeah, I have to look into this Euro badge business you speak about.
My front and rear badges are both shot. front began peeling and the rear is dented (thanks witch). I'm also in the market for euro badges. i have euro center caps awaiting install this weekend (i hope). So i will temporarily be rocking us and euro badges. I think once i get them installed i'ma cool it on upgrades.

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
EVZBUG said:
Billsbug, can you elaborate a bit on this? So it sounds like you just end up covering the old keyhole over with the new badge. I've never used it, and it is so annoying to hear people tell me that I have a dent in the emblem. Say your trunk motor isn't working, God forbid! Is there a release cable somewhere inside? I can't remember, and I'm too lazy to go down to the garage to get my manual. I really like the looks of the 3-D emblems!
Yeah, it just covers the outside of the whole lock mechanism now. Never had a problem opening it, I use the key or the latch release on the driver's door...can't remember if I mentioned it, but I have the double chromed 3-D badges from Bugsgogo, much brighter than the OEM 3-D badges..

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
I dented my hood the first night I had my car! Popped the hood to show off my new engine to Dad, and when I slammed the hood shut, I left a palm sized dent in the hood. I had to pay $150.00 to a paintless dent removal guy to come and work the dent out the next day. (It was driving me crazy!)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Dent Or No Dent????

When I first looked at the 2003 vert, way back in Dec 2002, I thought the trunk lid emblem had a dent in it. Asked the salesman if that was so, and was told it was for the keyhole. I have never used it to openn the trunk, always the remote or the switch on the door. I learned my lesson on closing the trunk, had to buy new emblem because I dented the original closing the trunk lid. You cannot just buy the emblem, you have to buy emblem, lock mechanism and youn also get two new keys with the new lock. I changed the emblem and have never closed the trunk by pressing on the emblem. VW changed the rear emblem so there isn`t a lock or dent for the key.

Attachments

·
Are Friends Electric?
372 Posts
I have to use my keyhole on the trunk every winter, once the temp gets below 32 degree (F). The mechanism allowing my car to latch stops working, so I have to slam the hatch a few times and/or while the hatch is open, manually close the locking mechanism. Then I need to use my key to unlock it again. Then I can give it one more slam and it will actually close.

No dents in my hatch either, I use the grab handles that are on the inside of the hatch to close. I have never needed to push on my hatch (and don't let anyone else try to shut it either as they all want to push it closed).

(I realize this is a bit old, but if this helps anyone, than it wasn't a waste to bring it back).

·
Registered
316 Posts
JrsyGrl said:
LOL, evzbug, I didn't actually mistake a dent for a keyhole. My Bug doesn't have a keyhole in the VW sign, it's just a plain old crappy plastic VW sign that dents easily!
Not to sound rude or anything, but if you look back at my post, I was quoting sb_beetle. I know yours doesn't have a hidden keyhole because you've got a 2005 convertible. sb_beetle has a 2004, which actually has a hidden keyhole in the 6 o'clock position--you slide the piece of triangular plastic over to reveal it as you can see in the pics above. But no, I know you didn't mistake a keyhole for a dent as you don't have a keyhole...BUT you can easily see how the dent in the plastic keyhole cover in the 2003-2004 convertibles is COMMONLY mistaken for an accidental dent. Anyway, so did you get your new badge?

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
KNEWBUG said:
You cannot just buy the emblem, you have to buy emblem, lock mechanism and you also get two new keys with the new lock.
That's if u wanna to replace it with the same craptastic flat emblem! Like I said before, just yank it off and replace it with a 3-D emblem. Works like a charm, looks great and is indestructible...:cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Mine dented too..The dealer replaced it. They told me to push on the runk right below the emblem so the emblem doesnt dent. So then i had a dent right under the emblem. they had to fix that too. now just three fingers on either side along the lower edge is all i do. still very hard to close. makes no difference if the door is open (to relieve air pressure) i have a vert and wit the top down it is hard to close.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts