VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 GLX 1.8T 5 Speed

Sense I was given my beetle I've been chasing this sound that has me totally stumped. When moving there is a low sound of what sounds like marbles clunking inside a tumbler. I notice it most at 45 to 50MPH. You can feel it in the floor somewhat and the sound seems to be coming from the front end. Turning either direction makes no change in the sound and I have 0 play in all wheel bearings.

I've changed the tires, brake pads, rotors, Tie rods (they where loose), front control arm bushings, Drivers CV axle (Had a torn boot and some play), transmission fluid, and I had an alignment done. Yet the sound is still there.

Acceleration, Deceleration, coasting, clutch in or out, and turning makes no difference in the sound. Theres no play in the transmission or wheel bearing sides of either CV axle tho there is slight torsional play in the passenger CV axle.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
If you can make a video and post it up here; maybe we can hear what it is, what specific sound you are referring to. My first thought would be motor and transmission mounts; a failing dual mass flywheel, also comes to mind. Do you have the stock clutch; how many miles on it, has it ever been replaced? Have you had a shop; inspect the car on a lift? We sometimes; put a car on a lift and put it in gear and then, try to see where sounds are coming from (you can get it up to the speed you noted). This technique can be used; when on jack stands as well, just be very careful with all safety precautions being observed. There are so many possibilities on noise sources;, it can be hard, without actually being with you to look at the car and put a ear to it. If you can; post up that video, we are all ears! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I honestly have no idea on the clutch. It has 164,000 miles on it tho. I noticed that someone has already done the timing belt but I don't know if they even messed with the clutch. I was actually debating on changing the motor mounts as my next step to try.

And this little bug has never been to a shop sense I've owned it, I do all my own work! To expensive to take it in lol

I'll see about making a video but its such a faint sound I don't know if I'll be able to pick it up. I'll try tho.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Here is a interesting video; check out the noises and explanation of the problems: (note: this is an extreme failure/case but might give you a sense of the potential noise from the DMF):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO3vnFNYxm8

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not that noise at all. And its only while I'm moving at speed. Engine speed has nothing to do with the noise either. So I don't think its related to the DMF.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I can't catch the sound in any video but my description was rather off... Its more of an sporadic soft clunking sound. Not a rattle like if the exhaust was hitting something but also not a rolling growl like if it was a wheel bearing.

In fact on rougher roads its entirely hidden by the road noise. heh.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Motor and trans mounts along with the rest of the bushings on the bug are already on the list! I'll give that a shot and see where it leads me.

In a few months I'm going to be taking this bug for a drive clear across the United States and back. (Around a 3000 Mile trip give or take.) Just wanting to make sure this little bug will do it safely!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I had the money I would love to put in a set of performance mounts! Tho Unfortunately between jobs thanks to the wonderful US Oil industry.

Tho, any harm in using aftermarket mounts? Say like, Anchor?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
The research; that I have done, is the oem/stock mounts, are failure prone to begin with and that is why the VW tuning industry, has so many performance mounts being sold in the marketplace.
Wheel hop and degradation of the stock mounts; is a known issue, plus so many people love to tune these 1.8Ts, it exacerbates the problem, even more! Here is a great thread; which pretty much, lays out the performance mounts and the types, that a number of companies have come up with.
Some here; have said, to just beef up the "dogbone"/pendulum mount and leave the two side mounts alone. A performance dogbone mount; tend to remove, most of the engine movement and reduces wheel hop. As with all performance parts; this clamping down of the drivetrain, adds noise, vibration and harmonics to the car.

VWVortex.com - 1.8t Motor Mounts - FAQ

I found; a pretty good combination with a Black Forest Industries stage 1 insert, in the dogbone. At first I thought it was too much vibration; I found a happy medium, with one piece BFI mount insert and one of the stock rubber pieces on the back of the mount. The isolated some of the noise with the rubber but reduced the movement of the drive train. Everyone; has their threshold, for the added noise these bring. It is a matter of taste but a upgraded performance dogbone, DOES make a difference.

The BFI stage 1 inserts; use the original mounts body and just replaces the inside rubber mounts. This makes it more affordable and it isn't too bad @ $25.

BFI MKIV Stage 1 Dogbone Insert

Another thing; is they sell the original oem rubber inserts from dogbone mounts, they have upgraded. So, if you wanted to stay stock; this is a cheap repair! $10 would rebuild your dogbone and bring it back to factory performance! :)

MK4 OE Dogbone Replacement

I am not familiar with the brand of mounts; you are referring to but many of the Chinese brands, fail prematurely, as mentioned the stock ones don't last either! :p

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting read. But makes sense. Maybe I'll try filling in one of those cheap chinese mounts just for giggles and see how that does lol

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I would pull the dog bone mount; see if there is play in it, $10 for new rubber inserts, is a very affordable way to rebuild it. My drivers side mount was compressed, worn and the passenger side had some play. You might use a pry bar; to see if there is play in the mounts, it becomes more obvious, when you remove and inspect them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually went and tried that. The trans mount moves with ease back and forth so thats a problem and the dog bone didn't look to bad and didn't have any major play in it. Tho I may change the bushings anyways just to be safe.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
@ $10 it is a no brainer; most of the dog one mounts, I have seen... The rubber inserts are worn or worn out. The trans side; seems to wear/compress more often, than the passenger/engine side.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now, do you have to replace the bolts on these mounts? Neared VW dealership is several hours away so I'd have to order them. Kinda hoping I can sneak by using the old bolts.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Technically, they are torque to yield (stretch) bolts; I have reused them but they tend to break and cross thread in the mount (bracket, frame and trans case). Be very careful, to not cross thread them; the aluminum fine threads tend to pull out. I would replace them, use a torque wrench; to reduce breakage, destroying the aluminum threads. If you order the rubber dog bone inserts from BFI; I'm sure they can sell you the type bolts as well.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting. Makes me wonder tho if I could go with a slightly over sized cadmium plated bolts and retap the bracket tho.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts