NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 NB has suddenly manifested a loud clunky bang/thud (I can feel something knocking) when turning... driver side front. Totally out of the blue, I had no issues with odd noises, whines, clicks etc until I got this rude shock at the end of the day when I pulled out of the parking lot at work.

I drove it slowly around the parking lot for about 5 minutes and then decided to limp home. On the way home, the noise stopped happening, even on turns. I noticed no other issues with steering or wheels. I haven't had a chance to take it out again because I just got home.

My question - could this be anything besides the CV joint? Why would it stop banging after a few minutes of driving? What would cause such a clunk/bang?

If it is the CV joint I am afraid this is the end of the line for Chica... as I just cannot sink too much more money into this car at this point.

·
JYD, Peppy Pepper, Rico,
596 Posts
I would also check

Hi,

Sorry you are having this trouble. You should put the model bug you have in the post it might make a difference.

i would check all the steering componets. Tie rods and other steering componets can make these noises when they go bad due to the play or wobble in the worn out joints. Have you hit anything recently? Curb, Pot hole, etc. ? If so they could have caused damage to steering componets. I would start there.

Good luck

·
Registered
762 Posts
Can it be something other than the CV... oh yeah. I've got a green Beetle sitting in my driveway while the owner saves up some funds to buy a tranmission. The diff has failed. On his car, rolling in a straight line, no problems, but as soon as you turn the wheels so you have different wheels speeds, *BANG* and the whole car is jolted.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.

It's just an ordinary '01 Beetle with an automatic transmission...

Could you describe why the transmission differential would cause a noise like this? I'm taking it in to the shop tomorrow (not the dealer, who is too far away) and just want them to look and identify what the problem is and give me an estimate on fixing. I don't really know what to tell them other than the front wheel well bangs loudly when turning a corner... *sometimes*.

I took it out for a short test drive around the block yesterday after not driving the car for a few days, and the bang didn't come back till midway through the drive (on a left turn, lowish speed, then repeated on a right turn) and then the bang went away again (no bangs on turns), though I slowed down quite a bit after hearing it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Have you checked the power steering fluid level? Low speed turns are when you would most notice a hydraulic problem.

Although a "bang" doesn't sound like the fluid. My experience with hydraulic fluid issues was a loud creaking sound.

The differential would make noise when turning due to it slipping and then catching, indicating worn gear teeth. The differential controls power to the two front wheels, keeping things equal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shop says it's a broken spring on the left front (driver's) side. Which does jive with the pounding sproinggy sound and intermittent clunkage, I suppose.

I'm going to be getting rid of this car fairly soon anyway, but wanted to have it for a few more weeks. As long as I can drive it to the local park-and-ride (3 minutes from my house) I should be OK so I can get to work, but I'd rather have it repaired and have full use of the car. Hoping the shop can find a used spring to replace it with.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The shop says it's a broken spring on the left front (driver's) side. Which does jive with the pounding sproinggy sound and intermittent clunkage, I suppose.

I'm going to be getting rid of this car fairly soon anyway, but wanted to have it for a few more weeks. As long as I can drive it to the local park-and-ride (3 minutes from my house) I should be OK so I can get to work, but I'd rather have it repaired and have full use of the car. Hoping the shop can find a used spring to replace it with.
I think the "cash for clunkers" thing is gone! If your selling the car, you stand a far better chance of getting it gone if it's driveable, and in the meantime, you'll be doing so safely if you get it repaired, even if it's a used spring from a junkyard. Kind of a pay me now or pay me a lot later thing. Just saying.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, I got her repaired with a used spring, fortunately one was available.

She's been a good car, but she is slowly failing. Would rather let her go out with some dignity. If she has to go to the junkyard, let it be under her own power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts