VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've read all the threads I can find about clutches and DMF's, but none really describe my symptoms. Car is a 2000 1.8T 5 speed 108k.

My daughter said she was trying to merge into traffic and the car did not accelerate well. I think she was in too high a gear and rode the clutch, but who knows. Now the car make a very pronounced "zinging" noise over 3500-4000 rpm. We've had the car for about 2000 miles, and I've thought the starter was going out since we got it, because it makes that tell tale noise of a starter gear not retracting properly. The noise it makes now while driving is very similar, but very loud and persistent. The clutch engagement under light driving feels ok (maybe a little high on the peddle, but ok) and will stall the engine if you hold the brake. The gears are not engaging as smoothly though.

Any Ideas?..........

·
Montana Noob
11 Posts
Ok, so I've read all the threads I can find about clutches and DMF's, but none really describe my symptoms. Car is a 2000 1.8T 5 speed 108k.

My daughter said she was trying to merge into traffic and the car did not accelerate well. I think she was in too high a gear and rode the clutch, but who knows. Now the car make a very pronounced "zinging" noise over 3500-4000 rpm. We've had the car for about 2000 miles, and I've thought the starter was going out since we got it, because it makes that tell tale noise of a starter gear not retracting properly. The noise it makes now while driving is very similar, but very loud and persistent. The clutch engagement under light driving feels ok (maybe a little high on the peddle, but ok) and will stall the engine if you hold the brake. The gears are not engaging as smoothly though.

Any Ideas?..........
If it what i think it may be.. you should immediately stop driving the car. My clutch went out and my clutch made a ticking noise even when not in gear. The symptoms of my clutch was the slipping effect it made when i would punch the pedal from a slow start in first. The car would attempt to accelerate then the RPM's would skyrocket without any power to the wheels.
The ticking noise was the clutch assembly skipping over the massive cracks in the clutch.
I was having problems shifting as well.. I think that IF it sounds similar.. be safe and stop. If the DMF explodes, you are in for some major repairs. As it was, my DMF replacement was 1200 through a local vender. PM me if you want to talk on the phone.. or chat more.
I AM NOT A CAR GUY... but am trying to learn more and have a bently manual.
My clutch went out at 121,000, and it too is a 2000 1.8t. Hope this helps a little..
Sorry for the size on the photo... I am attempting to resize.. (4/19/11)

·
Montana Noob
11 Posts
I've thought the starter was going out since we got it, because it makes that tell tale noise of a starter gear not retracting properly.
I have read that some debris (metal shavings) can clog up the starter assembly and my be causing that issue. My bug does that when the temp outside is cold (32F and lower). I still have to remove my starter and find out... Will let the forum know when i find out..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I appreciate the feedback, and the car is parked (help us all I have the 17yr old in my 03 Mustang GT, with some mods, in the mean time). The thing that I find inconsistent is that I don't feel slippage. The car seems to pull find, but when that noise starts I back off, and I'm used to flogging cars for diagnosis. I'm curious now to get the transmission issue squared away and see if the starting noise resolves itself. Personally I'm thinking the DMF took a crap, and I plan to replace it with a ECS stage one single mass. Just collecting ideas before I drop the trans....OH, one other thing. I pulled the air box and looked in an inspection hole on the top of the trans and by moving the tire I can see something (back half of the DMF???) move about an inch, with no movement in the flywheel teeth.

·
Montana Noob
11 Posts
I was unable to inspect myself. the slippage was the key for me.. I checked the car after work.. so i had a fresh perspective... I almost never let anyone else drive lol.. I wish i had a mechanic that would have upgraded but i am stuck with the DMF till next go around.. by them, maybe i can do my own work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump.

Still looking for any opinions. I'm out of town on business, but not looking foward to a transmission drop when I get home. I want to get this right the first time. Dedicated Ford guy here, looking for some faith in a VW. Help?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts