NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have a 2000, 2.0L, 5 speed, with 120,000 kms. My questions are:

Do the clutches on our cars have an adjustment?
If so, what does adjusting the clutch accomplish?
Would it be covered under the certified pre-owned warranty?

These questions are stemming from the fact that lately it seems that I can rarely make a smooth takeoff, and the pedal seems to be rather high before it actually "grabs". Any info or comments are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
beetleguy said:
First off, I have a 2000, 2.0L, 5 speed, with 120,000 kms. My questions are:

Do the clutches on our cars have an adjustment?
If so, what does adjusting the clutch accomplish?
Would it be covered under the certified pre-owned warranty?

These questions are stemming from the fact that lately it seems that I can rarely make a smooth takeoff, and the pedal seems to be rather high before it actually "grabs". Any info or comments are appreciated.
From what I gather from this old forum thread..you cannot adjust them; you can bleed the master cylendar or replace the clutch plate to restore the "proper petal height." I say it's a "girl's clutch," one that's designed for short legs. That is why it lets out so far up (dealer/mechanic says it's 'about half way...')

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks kcfoxie. I have always known that the pedal releases quite high. As far as the smooth takeoffs go, I have noticed that it varies as a function of the outside temperature (warmer= smoother takeoffs), which would make sense since the oil in the master cylinder is potentially thicker when it is colder (hence leading to rougher launches).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts