VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a long time VW owner and have replaced many clutches on old beetles, rabbit's and sciroccos. My wife's NB is an 04 NB 1.8 Turbo Convertible. I can say, I've never seen a Volkswagen quite so hard to work on. After an hour of disassembly and getting the battery and air cleaner out, finally got to see what I needed to do and almost made it but had to stop....

Here is the problem (beside the fact that my tool box was missing a 16MM socket and box end, 5/8 is close enough...) I could not get the transmission to clear the left side of the car. I had jacks on both the engine and transmission but it would not go down far enough to slide it out.

I believe my problem might be that I did not disconnect the exhaust. Has anyone done this before???? Any way, bolted it back up and went to bed to sleep on it. Back at it tonight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clutch Replacement

Transmission mount is removed. I can move the transmission around and if I could turn it 90 degree, I could slip it out. But it won't go. I've dropped the engine down as far as it will go until the jack is not longer on it and it is still not far enough. Probably down about 20 degrees. I'll take another stab at it tonight.

·
Same Name, New Parts
443 Posts
remove the aluminum piece that the transmission mount mounts to from the tranny, i think its 3 16mm bolts, this will give you extra clearance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Kortzie, It looks like I am going to follow your path. My 2003 NB convertible has a clutch that's failing. The symptoms (car's RPMs will increase when I press the accelerator but no increase in speed) are most prevalent in 3rd, 4th and 5th. Assuming a new clutch is necessary, is that all I need for parts? Any advice would be welcomed. I am trying to do all my own work on my cars and I am learning a great deal, but every problem is a "first" for me. So I am in the "gathering info" stage before I embark on this next journey. Were you able to remove the transmission in the end based on the last advice? And if you were able to get the job done, any advice you might pass on? THANKS in advance!

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
Do you have a Bentley manual? If not, you need it and a good torque wrench before you attempt to reassemble.

The engine/trans needs to be pushed forward in order to drop the transmission out. This is about the best use for the "widowmaker" spare tire jack that comes with our cars. Photo credit: This is Aaron's (Growler's) car, the pic was taken while Glen (TDIclub member MOGolf and TDI master mechanic) was doing a clutch replacement on his car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
DZLBUG - Thanks for the response. I do have the Bentley's and the Haynes. I have been reading them over to get the scope of the project. I discovered online (via ECStuning) that there are mutliple types of clutch kits I could acquire. Which would you reccommend?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts