NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 vw beetle 1.8t
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a bad wheel hub make it seem like the clutch is slipping? I have a 2000 1.8t bug

·
Registered
555 Posts
What’s your car doing? Why do you think you have a bad wheel hub? When you accelerate , do the rpm’s go up but your speed doesn’t really increase as you’ve been accustomed to?
Perhaps a little more info would be helpful.

·
Registered
2000 vw beetle 1.8t
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What’s your car doing? Why do you think you have a bad wheel hub? When you accelerate , do the rpm’s go up but your speed doesn’t really increase as you’ve been accustomed to?
Perhaps a little more info would be helpful.
Yes sir when I let off the clutch the car crawls off the start the rpms go up high but when I let off the gas the car jumps forward I have to baby the gas for it to move

·
Registered
2000 vw beetle 1.8t
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes sir when I let off the clutch the car crawls off the start the rpms go up high but when I let off the gas the car jumps forward I have to baby the gas for it to move
Plus the wheel hub I know needs changed the wheel is wobbly so I was hoping it was the wheel hub and not the clutch lol it goes through the gears good but it just doesn't wanna move sometimes it acts ok and sometimes it doesn't

·
Registered
555 Posts
If oil is leaking down inside the bell housing that would likely explain why your clutch is slipping. If you can solve the oil leak you may also solve the clutch slip. Unless of course it has ruined the clutch.

If the wheel wobbles it is likely a wheel bearing, get that fixed also, I ignored a wheel bearing one time on my old van and the front tire came off while driving down the road.

·
Registered
2000 vw beetle 1.8t
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If oil is leaking down inside the bell housing that would likely explain why your clutch is slipping. If you can solve the oil leak you may also solve the clutch slip. Unless of course it has ruined the clutch.

If the wheel wobbles it is likely a wheel bearing, get that fixed also, I ignored a wheel bearing one time on my old van and the front tire came off while driving down the road.
[/QUOT

The oil has been leaking on my transmission for as long as I've had it like 3 years the oil leak is driving me crazy cause I've had the motor half apart and can't find it I'm still looking for it tho so the wheel bearing isn't the reason the car is acting like that

·
Registered
555 Posts
From reading the other thread it sounds like your oil leak is pretty significant, if that oil gets to the clutch face by seeping into the bell housing that will definitely cause the clutch to slip.

A wobbling front wheel will feel weird when driving but has nothing to do with clutch slippage. It is a safety issue though. Jack up the front of the car place your hands at the 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock position and attempt to wiggle the tire if the tire moves you have a bad wheel bearing.

My daughter has an 01 bug, another daughter has an 03 Jetta and I have an 05 Golf all are diesel 5 speeds of course. They all take the same front wheel bearings so I keep 2 brand new ones on the shelf.

Change the bearing if you find it’s bad or whatever else might be worn on that front wheel and fix the oil leak. Billy linked to a good video in your other thread. If your engine was a diesel I could probably tell you where the oil was coming from (valve cover) but you have a gas engine and I’ve only ever played with maintenance on a gas engine once , a 2.0 bug and I was looking at the cooling system not the valve cover, or clutch area. Most cars have valve cover leak issues so I’d start there.

Just a side note buy a FAG bearing don’t bother with the chinese crap or you’ll be doing it again in 5-10k miles.

·
Registered
2000 vw beetle 1.8t
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From reading the other thread it sounds like your oil leak is pretty significant, if that oil gets to the clutch face by seeping into the bell housing that will definitely cause the clutch to slip.

A wobbling front wheel will feel weird when driving but has nothing to do with clutch slippage. It is a safety issue though. Jack up the front of the car place your hands at the 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock position and attempt to wiggle the tire if the tire moves you have a bad wheel bearing.

My daughter has an 01 bug, another daughter has an 03 Jetta and I have an 05 Golf all are diesel 5 speeds of course. They all take the same front wheel bearings so I keep 2 brand new ones on the shelf.

Change the bearing if you find it’s bad or whatever else might be worn on that front wheel and fix the oil leak. Billy linked to a good video in your other thread. If your engine was a diesel I could probably tell you where the oil was coming from (valve cover) but you have a gas engine and I’ve only ever played with maintenance on a gas engine once , a 2.0 bug and I was looking at the cooling system not the valve cover, or clutch area. Most cars have valve cover leak issues so I’d start there.

Just a side note buy a FAG bearing don’t bother with the chinese crap or you’ll be doing it again in 5-10k miles.
Ok thanks alot I'll change the valve cover gasket I've changed it twice

·
5/23/10 <3
11,010 Posts
Don't just change it for no reason, especially since you've changed it with no resolution. Did you see the suggestions from billymade in your oil leak post? There are a couple of other things to look at.

·
Registered
2000 vw beetle 1.8t
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't just change it for no reason, especially since you've changed it with no resolution. Did you see the suggestions from billymade in your oil leak post? There are a couple of other things to look at.
No I'm gonna look at it now I forgot to look at it lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts