VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the Dad that buys the kids their 1st car but with one prerequisite - It MUST be a manual transmission. I have a few reasons but the main:
  1. It makes a new driver focus a bit more
  2. 9 times out of 10 none of their friends can't drive it
  3. "If you can drive a stick you'll never be stranded"
So anyway got a really good deal on a 1998 NB 2.0 5 spd in Techno Blue. It was in rough shape but still decent if that makes sense. I ended up replacing the original engine. detailed the interior and replaced some missing exterior pieces. Started out like this (the day my wife and I picked it up)
[/URL][/IMG]

I have a 2 story home and my daughter's bedroom is on the front opposite the driveway. We didn't tell her where we were going or that we had gotten it so when she saw us pulling in the driveway I got out and could hear her screaming as she ran down the hallway, down the stairs and twice around Cobalt! I was a happy Dad!

A LOT of cleaning and detailing, engine swap, front valance, Alpine in dash player and (no sure of the brand) rear trnuk lid spoiler later. It was nice and roadworthy for her. This was one of 2 cars she was interested most in NB or Jeep Wrangler. I'm a car guy so I never leave them completely stock and though my son (oldest) could car less as long as it starts, my daughter has a vision. "I want it sporty. Not girl-car sporty but sporty." so without spending a mint (1st car, mind you) this is what we came up with.
Cobalt in it's current form (for now)
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

I'll get better pics later when Cobalt is clean.
16" VW Montreal II wheels (I refinished Satin Black at her request)
blue permanent valve stems
blue lug caps (black VW Center Caps already ordered)
rear spoiler

Soon to come:
Tint
10" single Sub
6.5" front Door speakers

Open to your thoughts

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
Awesome story! I was over 40 when I got my first NB, in 2002, but it was a doozy.......a 6-speed manual Turbo S. I've never looked back. :D

Many happy miles, and many happy smiles to your daughter! :party:

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome story! I was over 40 when I got my first NB, in 2002, but it was a doozy.......a 6-speed manual Turbo S. I've never looked back. :D

Many happy miles, and many happy smiles to your daughter! :party:
Thanks! I looked at a 2001 (I think) Turbo but when I drove it I said she'll either get tickets or hurt. The 2.0 is pretty reliable and enough to be fun.

The 1st time i had her drive it alone she was so excited that she didn't need me in the car. She wanted me to ride with her to work and to pick her up too (in her car of course) so I told her: "today, I'll follow you". I'm right behind you if you need me. She got out of the car at work like this :D and hasn't looked back, although we do still take little rides together.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
Welcome to the family.
Man, hearing your father-daughter stories, is making me choke up. My girls are grown up, out of the house, with kids of their own now; you gave me great flashbacks. Thanks buddy. It's great to have kids who not only appreciate what you do for them, but still have a heart for wanting to spend time with their old man- especially our little girls. You did my heart good sir...again, thanks for the story.

Your kid has great style. Very cool that she wants Cobalt sporty-sporty. So far, so good.

Keep the.pics coming and congrats to your daughter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,419 Posts
welcome to the .org! love the Montreal IIs...miss having 'em on my NB, and you have thinking about reinstalling 'em :)

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the family.
Man, hearing your father-daughter stories, is making me choke up. My girls are grown up, out of the house, with kids of their own now; you gave me great flashbacks. Thanks buddy. It's great to have kids who not only appreciate what you do for them, but still have a heart for wanting to spend time with their old man- especially our little girls. You did my heart good sir...again, thanks for the story.

Your kid has great style. Very cool that she wants Cobalt sporty-sporty. So far, so good.

Keep the.pics coming and congrats to your daughter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I've been fortunate. I've been able to keep my work life at bay so I can spend time with and have relationships with my son (on his own now) and daughter. It means everything. They are both appreciative but there's no love like Daddy's girl.

Thanks for the kind words

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
welcome to the .org! love the Montreal IIs...miss having 'em on my NB, and you have thinking about reinstalling 'em :)
Thanks! @Warren, Do you have pics of your NB with Montreal IIs? I'd love to see them. She told me she wanted a mesh wheel but she didn't want to have more expensive tires (smart girl) so I came across a guy selling some in pretty rough condition. Got them for $75 w/ no center caps. I was skeptical about them looking nice on a NB because I hadn't seen them on one, but I figured I would refinish them. I was trying to get her to let me do Bronze or White for the wheels as those colors look really nice with her blue. But she wanted black so I decided on Satin Black. Matte is too dull and always looks dirty and gloss rarely looks good for very long.
At purchase:

A close up of one:

Sanded, smoothed and primed:

Finished:

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick update!
Cobalt's center caps arrived so I went out and installed them and gave him a quick wash. Huge difference IMO!
Before

After

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm the Dad that buys the kids their 1st car but with one prerequisite - It MUST be a manual transmission. I have a few reasons but the main:

1. It makes a new driver focus a bit more
  2. 9 times out of 10 none of their friends can't drive it
  3. "If you can drive a stick you'll never be stranded"
This is brilliant!

I hope your daughter is enjoying her Beetle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, for the most part she is. It has a couple of niggles I am trying to work through for her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts