VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently scanned my car and came up with a few codes.. I got a code 01315 stating that the transmission control module- no communication. ive noticed that for the last 3 days when my car shifts its a hard shift and i dont know what could cause this..

just recently i had the transmission replaced for the second time because the the first guy who did the work had it done wrong. i havent had any check engines lights on since i got it back about a week ago. but the codes that i found after scanning it are

ive searched on wiki ross but not really sure how i can fix this.. If anyone can please help me
Thank you

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
4 or 6 speed?

I would stat with the main transmission connector and see what is going on. Do not recall where the TCM is located, probably near the ECU under the dash in the cowl area?

Sounds like a lot of phantom/random codes, maybe something due to a ground wire on the engine/transmission not connected??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4 or 6 speed?

I would stat with the main transmission connector and see what is going on. Do not recall where the TCM is located, probably near the ECU under the dash in the cowl area?

Sounds like a lot of phantom/random codes, maybe something due to a ground wire on the engine/transmission not connected??
It's a 2000 1.8 gls turbo automatic.. I believe 6 speed...

Since I just had the transmission replaced do you think there could be a connection problem which is causing the hard shifts ?

Thanks for the advice

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Clear codes and see what happens, which codes if any come back.

These TCM have adapations and need to be driven about 40-60 miles around town for the shifting to settle down.

Also if this was a used transmission, ALL the VW valvebodies have issues, wear and shift hard, usually more so on downshifting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clear codes and see what happens, which codes if any come back.

These TCM have adapations and need to be driven about 40-60 miles around town for the shifting to settle down.

Also if this was a used transmission, ALL the VW valvebodies have issues, wear and shift hard, usually more so on downshifting.
This transmission was used the person that did the work from my understanding got a transmission and rebuilt it. This is the second transmission rebuild on this car because the first person to do the work didn't use the proper gears and parts and that transmission went.. But the first guy replaced both valve body covers and torque converter for free..

Should there be still the hard shifting we've driven this car for atleast 200miles already?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hard shifting seems to only bee when I drive the car on like city streets and not on the highway.. It's a hard shift from 2 to 3 and sometimes 3-4

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clear the codes and then see if any of the codes come back.

If the TCM has to adapt, it usually likes 30-40 miles city driving with a lot of shifting.
Thank you for all the help. im going to erase them and hopefully this car works out and the hard shifting goes away soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi I was curious I've been driving the car for probably about 200 miles and 3 weeks.. It's still shifting hard and sometimes it would come and go like it would hard shift when shifting from 2-3 but when I stop at a light and then go again it shifts fine..

My question is do you think there's some sort of problem with the TCM or could it be that the transmission needs to be looked at again since it was just replaced 4 weeks ago?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Transmission should adapt in this period of time, assuming most of this mileage is in town and not on the highway.

Sounds like the current transmission has a crappy valve body.

Any warranty on this transmission? If not, then the valve body was probably never reworked?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts