NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm new to the forums.

I just need help on my wife's 2001 Beetle I recently purchased. My friend checked the car with a code reader and it gave an error in the the tranny area. I thought it might be just a slight error. He just did a reset on the obd. He said there might be something wrong with the solenoid in the tranny.

Today, I tried to smog it at the smog station. Everything passed except the guy checked the obd system and it gave an error.

Can I replace just the solenoids in tranny if i get the part??

Or just replace the whole tranny and purchase a good used tranny?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
What is the exact code that was thrown? It should be a code with P followed by 4 numbers. That will help us help you.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Could be a solenoid or wiring harness inside the trans or a valve body issue.

I would not likely look at a used transmission, I would concentrate on the wiring harness, terminals that connect inside the transmission the valve body and solenoids.

You should be able to purchase a reworked valve body for around $500 or get your valve body reworked for about this same amount.

Also if you plan on keeping this car, you need your own code reader/scan tool - http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...le/60391-obd-scan-tools-software-options.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the exact code that was thrown? It should be a code with P followed by 4 numbers. That will help us help you.
I'm going to go to my friend's place on Saturday and get what code is showing on the reader.

Could be a solenoid or wiring harness inside the trans or a valve body issue.

I would not likely look at a used transmission, I would concentrate on the wiring harness, terminals that connect inside the transmission the valve body and solenoids.

You should be able to purchase a reworked valve body for around $500 or get your valve body reworked for about this same amount.

Also if you plan on keeping this car, you need your own code reader/scan tool - http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...le/60391-obd-scan-tools-software-options.html
Thanks for the info. Do you think a tranny goes bad that quick on a 2001 Beetle?? Is it common for that year?? It has 115,000 miles right now on the tranny.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Hate to put it this way, "newsflash" all New Beetle auto transmissions have issue, most before 75k miles. VW extended the warranty on many of the transmission due to all the problems to 7 years/100k miles.

Also there is no such thing as a good used VW automatic transmission.

My 2003 1.8t GLX convertible that I purchased new with a 6 speed Tiptronic ate the valve body before 70k miles!!

So to answer your question, you are likely over due to auto trans issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts