NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, my 2000 beetle is coding PO411 the secondary air pump does not operate on start up. I did jump the relay and it worked, also wired direct and it worked. Could not find any cracks in hoses, would the pump not turning on throw the code and what would cause it not to come on? thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The fuse for the secondary air pump is on the battery box fuse panel. Check those and make sure they are OK. The fuse will be the rightmost of the 5 large fuses.

The ECU can tell if air is not flowing for any reason and will set the error code.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The problem is most likely the relay. If you have a meter or test light you can remove it and check it. The resistance across pins 1 and 2 of the relay should drop to 0 when 12 volts is applied across pins 3 and 4. It is located under a cover near the brake fluid reservoir.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replaced the relay still nothing. Does anyone know what triggers the computer to activate the air pump? It's my understanding the air pump only runs at startup and for a short period of time until the car warms up a little. There must be something that gives the ECU the information to turn the air pump on and off. thanks

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
According to my Bentley's it should run for 65 seconds during a cold start. It will also run for 5 seconds after a 20 second delay when starting when warm if the coolant temperature is below 185°.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts