NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a code back on my '04 1.8 turbo regarding the drivers side door control module which reads "INCONCLUSIVE".

Anyone have an idea of what the problem or solution is?

Thanks in advance,
trshman

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JFOJ,

First I'd like to thank you for responding.

As to the problems;
a) the red led that indicates the door is locked doesn't come on anymore while driving.
b) I can hear the a solenoid or relay in the door attempting to lock the door when I exceed 15mph and attempt to unlock when I drop below that.
c) periodically the feature that automatically lowers/raises the window when you open/close the door doesn't work.

I hope that helps,
trshman

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jfoj,

I just checked to be doubly sure; both the light in the rearview mirror and the light at the bottom rear of the drivers door come on.

Does this affect your response?

trshman

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yes, let me make this suggestion before I fully condemn the door latch.

Disconnect your battery for at least 30 minutes and see what happens. Sometimes the control modules get stupid and this will clear out any invalid logic they are dealing with.

Once you try that, report back.

The door latches do have multiple switches in them and sometimes they do act intermittent.

Next time you notice your window not drop, remember to look at the door light. As this may be intermittent, you still may need a door latch.

I also had a situation with one door latch that the window would drop when opening the door from the inside of the car, when the door opened, then the window would pop back up before the door was closed. This was also a door latch.

Like I mention, my car is on latch #5 & #6 at this point and it is a 2003.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do.
Between football today and "stuff" tomorrow I probably won't post the results until late in the day but I'll definitely let you know the results. thanks again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jfoj,

ok, here's the results after leaving the battery disconnected for 40 minutes;

a) the same problem exists; I can hear something trying to lock and unlock as I go above and below 15 mph.

b) the drivers door light came on despite the drivers door window lowering but not raising when I opened the door.

c) after exceeding 15mph and then coming to a stop I noticed the red led indicating the door is locked was "on" on the passengers door but not the drivers door.

that's my story. What do you think ?

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
Bad micro-switch in the door handle. It's an integral part of the handle and cannot be replaced as a separate part. Only fix is to replace the handle.
Sorry for the bad news.:(

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Bad micro-switch in the door handle. It's an integral part of the handle and cannot be replaced as a separate part. Only fix is to replace the handle.
Sorry for the bad news.:(
Maybe there have been changes, but I do not think so, there are no switches in either interior or exterior door handles that I am aware of.

If it the door latch that likely needs to be replaced.

My guess is the latch cannot detect the door is really closed and this is why the door lock does not seem to work.

Again, I have my 2003 apart many times, replaced both door latches in the past 2 months and there are no switches as part of the handles, all switches are in the door latch.

Good price on the drivers door latch is around $120 as I recall? A bit tricky to install, but I can do these all day long on a convertible in less than 1 hour.

If you plan on doing this yourself, let me know and I can provide some pointers.

·
Registered
758 Posts
When I've had the doors apart on our '05 New Beetle Convertible, the electrical harness definitely plugs into the door latch mechanism.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jfoj, I do plan to do it myself so any pointers would be appreciated. Is this part also referred to as an "actuator"? Someone suggested the actuator as a possible cause. Are they one in the same or different?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Search for a "how to" on replacing the window regulator (a common repair). This should detail how to take the door panel apart to get to the latch mechanism. It could very well be called an "actuator" since the door lock can be electrically operated from the key fob or the switch inside the car.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Dealer wholesale should be around $125 on the door latch assembly.

I will try to dig up the box/invoice.

You should also purchase the $10 plastic latch support and the pop rivet. VW screwed up on the pop rivet and the head is way too big, you will need to cut it in 2 places with side cutters.

Luckily with the convertible, you do not need to take the window out.

You will need triple square bits for the latch bolts and the key cylinder bolt.

Something like this should work - Amazon.com: Capri Tools XZN Triple Square Spline Wrench Bit Socket Sets, S2 Bit, 10-Piece: Automotive

One key item is you will need to remove the latch bolts and the latch will come out with the inner door panel and go back in attached to the inner door panel.

The door handle can be tricky, if you screw up you can get the door handle to hit the glass, you just need to be careful.

If I can PDF the handle adjustment procedure, I will attach it here. It is hard to explain, but stupid simple once you figure it out. Kind of a neat added trick VW added to the latch.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jfoj,
thanks for the help and info. i've had the door apart before to replace the power window switches so i've had some experience "entering the beast":)
plus i've got a haynes manual somewhere, just have to dig it out. maybe there's some help in there.

trshman

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Unfortunately Haynes manual will be totally USELESS for this job.

Also the window switches are CAKE compared to the door latch, but if you take your time the door latch is not really bad.

The attached will likely be way more useful than a Haynes manual!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts