NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light is on so often I stopped checking it because it was always the same thing and I knew what it was caused by and the ABS light was on but everything was caused by a simple cable that got broke off the front left wheel.

Recently I think I changed gears while the car was still rolling.

Now the car revs high when shifting and it clunks into first and reverse when I move the shifter.

Today the car wouldn't start and I had to floor it while turning the ignition key to start it. Then it stalled at a stop light and I had to floor it again to start it.

I checked for codes and got 3081 which my Haynes book doesn't list but this site My wifes 2005 New Beetle threw a code P3081 (low coolant temp). - JustAnswer says it's a low coolant temperature.

I also got 0322 Engine Speed Sensor, no input. This could be the problem. Here's how to fix it: http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-5-lit...-speed-sensor-crank-sensor-g28-no-signal.html

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I answered you in your other post regarding the codes.

I didn't realize you have an Crappomatic transmission. I think 2005 was the last year they did put the 4 speed automatic in those Beetle's. Which is the worst transmission
ever made by VW. If you have high revs and it clunks into gear than your valve body is shot and once that goes the transmission isn't far behind. You can try and replace the valve body but most transmission shops will just recommend you swap the entire transmission out and that will run you between $7000+ dollars. You can try and do it yourself and save some bucks but if you don't have the tools and know how it is just a big job and I wouldn't try to tackle it. My suggestion is to swap the tranny for a manual transmission. Less money and it will last you longer.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6-Speed

I answered you in your other post regarding the codes.

"I didn't realize you have an Crappomatic transmission. I think 2005 was the last year they did put the 4 speed automatic in those Beetle's."
Mine has a 6-Speed Triptonic transmission.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts