NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

Registered
Yeah, same info; the techs have access to, at the vw dealership, specifically geared towards the factory trained vw service techs and thus, all the tech info, straight to the point, no fluff based repair info! :)

The earlier Bentley Publishers paper based manuals, were geared towards the owner servicing their own vehicle and would leave out, stuff like transmission repair. The BP "eBahn" software based manual; was more inline with eRWin but still was not quite the same level of service info. I had the paper BP paper manual, when my 6 speed manual trans 02M failed; i bought the eBahn version, to be able to rebuild it.

Good to hear, there is great tech repair info; first i have heard of "iWire".

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Well I'm still downloading. There PDF file format. Adobe is how I'm saving them. I don't know how you want them. So I've been putting things in there own folder. ie.. wire diagrams, connector views...ect. looks like I'll be up for awhile being I only have 24 hour access. 馃槈

Registered
I would rather have a abundance of info; rather than, what is available now, close to nothing (no: paper manuals, free online access, etc). I have noticed, AllData, does seem to offer similar vw service info, through their paid online service and possibly Mitchell1 as well. The old paper manual publishers; like Haynes, Chilton, do not seem to be releasing later model VW editions.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Well I've hit a snag. I was able to get all the files from the iWIRE part. But that only covers everything electrical. Diagrams and fuse/relay locations. But I'm having an issue with the other stuff. I can get it, but when I open it. It says that there's, example, is 20 pages. But it will only let me view the not liable pages. There's an acceptance button. But I can't for the life of me find that information anywhere. And wouldn't you know that the FAQ page is down. So I sent a ticket. But who knows how long that will take. I now have about 17 hrs left. Time to look on YouTube to see if there's anything. It's going to be a long night. But what I do have is good 馃槉.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
I think I got it. I'm going to try it. Will you open it. its been scanned when i got it.

says file to big. what to do?

Registered
Another issue, to contact eRWin tech support about; hopefully, you end up with everything you need, to start testing, troubleshooting and finally, repairing you Beetle! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
I was up until about 5am getting stuff. I got everything I could get for my car and I also got everything I could get in the NB. 馃憤 I figured I had access to it all why not get it.

Registered
Yeah, time for some troubleshooting and testing! Good work; let us know the results and any problems you find. (Compression and fuel pressure test kits; typically available for rent from your local auto parts store).

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
Well me and my helper馃榿 did some testing. I had to higher her to help me get to some tight spaces. After reading the relay locations for the reply for the ECU. I tested it and all seemed good. I also got the CPS in. Put it on and that code went away. So now the only code I have is the ECU power relay high voltage code. Going to get a new one today and try again. Also going to check spark plugs for fire. I know I should of already done that. But I was being lazy and didn't want to take off that stuff. 馃檮 I'll update on what happens next. Maybe a can of gas and a match 馃ぃ here's a few pictures of my helper 馃槈 the last picture is the CPS bolt. She had to get it out 馃槀 my hand just couldn't get it. Both of my girls like to help me. 馃挭馃榿

Attachments

Registered
Sounds good, making some progress and it is always nice, to have helpers during diagnostics, troubleshooting things like ignition spark. I guess, spark, would confirm; the new cps, is working?

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
Well I poured gas on it and rolled it out in the road. Let the insurance company take care of it. Or the house insurance company. 馃が I've done what I could do as far as testing stuff. The only thing that I bought was the CPS. It was expensive enough. So I'm not gonna throw parts at it that may or may not fix it. So it's now sitting at the shop. 馃檮 I hate that. But there's just to many systems to mess up that I have no knowledge about. I'll probably regret sending it to the shop, but if I fry something. That's going to cost way more. So I'll update to let y'all know what it was. Hopefully I won't have to skip rent this month. 馃槄馃槀

Registered
No shame, in having others handle it; did you have it towed to the VW dealer or somewhere else? If a VW dealer and it ends up being timing chain related; you could see, if VW will help with repair costs.

There is wisdom, in picking and choosing your battles; at this time of lockdown, crisis, attention is better paid to keeping our families safe and healthy!

It will be interesting to hear what the problem is and what repairs are needed. Thanks for the update! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
I had it taken to Midas. They do all of the car's for us and never had an issue. They know us well. When I call they answer the phone saying hey Mr Lunsford.. what's going on. How's my little friend. Talking about my 9yrold daughter. So he said that if can't figure it out that he'd just fire everyone and close the door 馃槀. So with what's going on with the virus situation. He's asking everyone to just leave their vehicles and when there ready he'll call you. He said that he didn't want people to just hang out in the lobby and walk around outside. Fine with me. I didn't even get close to the wrecker driver and I know him from other tows. Gave him the key, he knows where the hook is, address. I went back in. I'm grounded from going anywhere because of my immune system being off from having part of my pancreas gone. 馃檮 So I don't go anywhere unless it's a have to thing. Anyway. Everyone be safe out there and I'll update yall once I find something out.

Registered
I might be wrong, but I think the 18T uses a timing belt. If it broke, that would explain a lot. If it's broke you should have NO compression. You don't need a tester, just loosen the spark plugs so that they leak. If they hiss, you have compression. Old school, we'd check the distributor for rotation.

If it is a timing belt, you got problems. It's an interference motor, which means that when the timing belt goes, pistons hit valves and bend them. Not good, it would require taking both heads out and rebuilding them, new guides, new valves, and new seals and gaskets. Bin dere done dat.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts