NewBeetle.org Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #41
Ya. I call myself knowledgeable, but that's on American vehicles and old bug's. I'm new to this type of engine. The belt/chain was mentioned when I started the post. But my thinking since it's an interference motor. That there would be some kind of noise or something when it spun over. I know that if it is the belt/chain, the top end won't turn, but the crank will. So if there's values were there shouldn't be. Wouldn't you hear that? I watched a few videos on changing it. There's just a lot of little stuff that you have to make sure they're back correct. I can do it on a V8 or V6. I just did the one on my daughter's Ford ranger with a 4cyl. I just really don't know what I'm doing on this car. So I realize my limits and just took it in. I know that it's going to cost me, but if I keep digging into it. I might mess something else up that's really going to cost me. Idk. I have this love/hate thing going on right now. To some people this my not stress them out. But I'm so anal about her, that it's really getting dirty from sitting. It's white and for a 5 yrold car. It still looks new. I had to really scrub it yesterday to get the black stuff off it. All most all of it came off and to most people it's clean. But I know every piece of paint on it and I know that it's there. Ever so slightly and you probably have to look at an angle to see some of it but it's there. So after it gets fixed. I'll have to buff it out and hopefully get it off. The garage will be open Sunday. So I'll be able to get it in the garage if I can't afford to fix it right now. Sounds silly when you're stressed out about the paint like you are the problem. But I'm a little off anyway 馃槄

Registered

I'm sure you can look at your service manual to confirm; however, looking at vw's parts site, it looks like this late generation 1.8T engine, has timing chains? (#16, #35)

Registered

Registered
Seems, on the 1.8T and 2.0T; depending, on the generation, chain stretch and tensioner failure, have been noted. The Humble Mechanic, seems to discuss; symptoms, trouble codes and dying on the highway, similar to what you have shared, happend to you.

More threads, discussions and videos, maybe of interest. Some of the threads, said the Gen 3; had a better revised timing chain tensioner but problem with chain stretch, system failures are still documented.

Registered
Discussion Starter #47
Ya. I read up on the failures of each gen. Ty. I like him. Well the shop called this morning and said that it was the fuse block under the hood. Some how, I have no clue how, but it had gotten wet. So the power relay is not working. So apparently it's built into the block. He said that all the systems are working. Fuel pressure is great. Spark. All that stuff is working. But with the relay not being energized. None of the systems that make the car run will work. Like the injectors, TB, ect.. I asked him if he checked to see if the block was getting power, yes. Timing, yes..so on. They know how I feel about my baby. 馃榿 So I have no idea how the water got there. I have never washed the motor. I don't drive in water. The only, only thing that I can think of, is when I washed it. I didn't close the hood all the way down. IDK. He told me the day, mileage and speed that it happened. So now I'm left with putting a new fuse block in it. Just the darn part is around $4-500. So far the moment I have a shiny piece of metal to decorate my garage with. So that's the story on it for now. Ty for all the help.

Registered
Interesting diagnosis; sounds like, they know their stuff. Well, it is good to hear; that you don't have major engine damage or catastrophic failure of some sort. Are you going to replace the fuse block; yourself, using a new or used part? Water alone, wouldn't seem to cause this; it will be interesting, to see, if the fuse block, ends up being damaged, melted or the contacts, are compromised in some way.

Registered
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
No. I'm not going to get into all that electrical. I'm just going to have it done. If I do it and I break something else. Then I have to pay for it. If they break it. They'll have to pay it. That's per their policy. I'm not trying to brag. But I'm a VIP customer there. Which probably means nothing. Lol. But it sounds good. It's a new one from VW. And I will get the old one to inspect it. I also asked if the wiring harness was damaged and he said no. I talked to the tech that looked at it and he's the one who is going to do the work. Like I said before. They know how I feel about my car馃榿 they know not to leave any finger prints on it. Lol. Or on the shinny trim on the inside of it. Lol. When they change the oil. They warp around the filler neck so they don't have to clean it up. Lol. Don't slam doors and ****. Lol. It's irritating to them, but Scott makes sure it's done. I'm bad. Lol but if it's not running, it will be fixed by them labor free. But it's 5-7days to get the parts and another couple of days to fix it. So it'll be awhile before I update yall one it again. It might wind up in the for sale section. Lol.

Registered
Sounds great; let us know, how things work out, when you get the Bug back! :)

PS: if it looks to be a VW defect issue; you might call VW Customer Care and see, if they will reimburse you for partial or full repair costs. Worth a shot; you never know, all they can say, is "no". :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #52
Well after $748. I finally got it back right before they closed. Well 5 minutes late. But they love me. 馃ぃ The darn part came from Volkswagen, no Chinese for my car馃憤 that was almost$500. The technical Guy did a great job. Instead of it having quick connections hook ups. He had to do every wire. Great job 馃憤. Started right up like it should. No lights, no missing or stumblingly. All the wiring and harnesses look factory. So he showed me the old block. And he showed me the underside were the main plate runs across. You could see some corrosion on the plate. So I'm sure the top side was bad. There was some corrosion on some of the prongs were the relay's go in. But it's good now 馃槉. So happy to have her back. Now I have to shine her up. The only thing I can complain about is the grease had prints. 馃檮 So happy I got my baby back 鉂ゐ煉嬸煉煉

Registered
Great, sounds like you had a solid and successful repair experience, at your chosen repair shop. Post some photos of the fuse block corrosion issues; when you get a chance, thanks! :)

Registered
VW Customer Care

1-800-822-8987
8 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST
Monday 鈥 Friday

Volkswagen Customer CARE
3800 Hamlin Road
Auburn Hills, MI 48326-2829

you can email or chat as well:

Registered
Discussion Starter #57
Ty. I don't have the old block. It was kinda don't come in the waiting room thing. So I picked it up outside.馃檮

Registered
Huh, I would request the old part, from the repair shop (hopefully they haven't thrown it away); you might need that defective fuse box, to prove the issue and request financial help, refund for repair costs from vw.

Registered
Discussion Starter #59
Huh, I would request the old part, from the repair shop (hopefully they haven't thrown it away); you might need that defective fuse box, to prove the issue and request financial help, refund for repair costs from vw.
Ya. After I picked it up and then talked to you about it the first time. I kicked myself for not asking for it. I was just happy to have her back 鈽 but I'm going to call tomorrow and see if they still have it. I might get lucky. Off topic question. I noticed that there wasn't a Post asking what did you do for your car today.. I haven't seen one.

Registered
Yeah, I hope so; I would call VW Customer Care, regardless, you spend quite a bit on that fix. All they can say is "no"; hopefully, they will help you out with the repair costs.

As to the "what did you do for your car today", type thread; is this what you mean?

41 - 60 of 61 Posts