NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings beetle gurus
My father in law is the original owner of this 2000 green diesel automatic bug. These are the only codes that are showing. 250k on the odometer.
Codes again are p0715. P1556. And p0380
Again thanks in advance for your insights.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,010 Posts
First, what exactly is going on with the car? You give codes, which is great, but it would also be helpful to know the symptoms of the car as well.

The P1556 code looks to be a boost issue. I'd check and make sure all hoses are connected, and if they are, its probably a bad N75 valve. The p0380 code is for the glow plugs, so either a plug is bad or there is an issue with the glow plug wiring harness (which is a very common problem). The p0715 code is for the speed sensor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply!
We are in the northern part of Wisconsin and it is colder than...... here. So it is a difficult starting issue and a lot of blue smoke on startup. I'm guessing that is a lot of unburnt fuel. Although he states th at it does use more than the usual amount of motor oil.
He also says th at it doesn't shift to top gear either. Th at one is a mystery to me. He has put seafoam through it and says that it works better for a while
He'll be dropping it off at my house for a few weeks and I would like to get this thing back up to speed for him. Or tell him it's a basket case.
Oh yea 65 mph isn't achievable at this time.

Again thanks! From him too

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
For future reference: a good place; to look up codes and repair info is the Ross Tech Wiki:

Ross-Tech Wiki

Another problem (in addition to problems shown by the trouble codes); that seems to be common on high milage TDIs, is the clogging up of the manifold, there are videos on youtube showing how people do it with a propane torch or other ways. They really get clogged up; maybe his is, thus such poor acceleration. His maybe fine but if it has never been done before; it seems like it could possibly be clogged up, worth a look anyway! :)

Check out this article:

Cleaning Carbon from TDI Intake Systems

http://www.underhoodservice.com/Article/40253/cleaning_carbon_from_tdi_intake_systems.aspx

You Tube videos:

https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+1.9+TDI+manifold+cleaning&oq=youtube+1.9+TDI+manifold+cleaning&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.11039j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8

online info/parts for the cleaning job:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tdi+manifold+cleaning&oq=tdi+manifold+cleaning&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i61j0l4.7224j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interference engine?

Ok tdi gods
Is the 2000 engine an interference engine? Father in law wants to drive it 200 miles on a 120k old timing belt. Cheaper if he makes it..... advice please?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Gonna flatbed it. How difficult to change the engine speed sensor? Any write-up on it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts